SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
took this earlier today - looks like they learned the foraging lesson already at 2 days...
DSC00305.JPG

@Fur-N-Fowl how is the quail doing?

I was at work so my mam sent me a photo of it!

So, it was the first to pip but last to hatch. It managed to unzip around the egg but couldn't push itself out and was starting to get tired and give up.

My Mam intervened for me since I wasn't there and got the little Quail out!

From the photo I was sent, it appears to have really scrunched up feet due to it being stuck in the egg. Depending on what it's like tomorrow, I may make it some shoes!

So now all have hatched and I have 8 Silkies and 1 Quail!

e22c9afe-670c-4357-87d9-29f961a2bd72.jpg

I have a question about Leghorns.. I just candled my third Leghorns eggs and it seems again they are all infertile. What is with this breed? I have been trying to hatch Leghorns, bought eggs from 3 different suppliers so far and NONE of them was fertile. Is it the breed or the time of the year (approaching winter and getting cold)? All these 3 suppliers have roosters, I have seen them...
most likely the time of year, a week or 2 before flock gets ready to molt fertilitay rate drops big time as rooster molts with them and until they all complete it won't get many fertile eggs

From the photo I was sent, it appears to have really scrunched up feet due to it being stuck in the egg. Depending on what it's like tomorrow, I may make it some shoes!
So now all have hatched and I have 8 Silkies and 1 Quail!
View attachment 1914243
Congratulations!!!
most likely the time of year, a week or 2 before flock gets ready to molt fertilitay rate drops big time as rooster molts with them and until they all complete it won't get many fertile eggs
Oh, I didn't know that. The last flock that I bought the eggs from is mooting.. so the fertility drops before and during molting???

Back
Top Bottom