SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
My chicks hatched one died but the other is doing well her name is Dottie speckles
8C81CE21-F60C-4C25-8338-530C8591C228.jpeg

Are you counting from when she didn't get of the nest hardly? and you don't count that first day so say she started sitting on September 1, today would be day 21 and you start after full 24 hours, but remember the 21 days is a baseline can hatch at day 19 or can hatch as late as day 25, some hens do like a little companionship support and better the flock master than a chicken at this point, as they get so bored sitting there while others are like thank heavens I am away from everybody
We're in NZ, so a bit ahead. Today is the 23rd and she started early evening of the first. She was definitely bored. Had fun worrying one of my rings and was very curious of my cup of tea. I sat with her for a few hours offering heaps of pats. Clearly, she's not the type of broody to be grumpy of me handling the eggs or touching her. I have had to help her with eating and drinking and getting her off the nest as she's useless - eats with gusto when offered, but won't move for anything. She's a bit uncoordinated from sitting so long poor thing, but she hasn't given up.
We're due for rain tomorrow, so hopefully the pippers will take that as a sign to get rockin'!

found one of the chicks on the floor of the coop when I let them out just now - no rigour mortis so not long gone :hit there were a few pieces of sawdust stuck to its butt feathers but otherwise seemed perfect. Is that indicative of anything in particular to explain its demise?

Back
Top Bottom