SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
@Compost King I am currently on a holiday in Greece and I saw a Naked Neck hen for the first time ever. She was multicolour. The owner only had one hen, the roosters were not Naked Neck so I didn't buy eggs, but maaan they are ..ugly! Unless they produce more eggs than Leghorns why would you keep them? I know it is a personal preference:)
I like ugly birds.. but its not why I like Naked Necks. Naked Necks are easier to process for meat. I also theorize that less protein going towards Feathering means more protein going towards egg production but I never tested that theory. I just see them as a great utility bird. Also people buy them up relatively fast like a fad. When I have them for sale people buy them even people who say they are ugly.

@wolfwalker thank you for the Hatching wrap up. One important question for me- how do you see the air cell is detached prior to incubation?
It is sad for those died in the last few days.

while candling, I tilted gently the egg and watched the air cell move towards the middle of the egg. I did not tilt much as I didn't want it to travel, just enough to tell it was moving away from the end.

Pixie and her 10 babies

Attachments

• D8452B74-FCD2-42B6-AA15-BAACB0DA0B8F.jpeg
    D8452B74-FCD2-42B6-AA15-BAACB0DA0B8F.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 8
  • D33FC08A-881E-4865-9DF2-0A6B5423EA18.jpeg
    D33FC08A-881E-4865-9DF2-0A6B5423EA18.jpeg
    730.8 KB · Views: 9
So, everyone else hatched out on Monday, but one egg is running behind. It's Thursday here now and running on day 25 for this lil bitty. Is it eggtopsy\assisted hatch time, or should I give it another day? I have no idea whether it's still viable at this stage.
Mom is still sitting as of this morning, though the bitties are getting more adventurous.

Down to the wire with September winding down.
20190925_215509.jpg
last lockdown of the month and year for me.... well for my purposes anyway.
20190914_171837.jpg
the prospective parents. The light ?gray? One in front is called baby. Ok it should have been toddler cuz she weights so much, but she was so cute when she was younger, anyway she has 4 eggs in this batch and the cute big red broiler hens behind her also have a good number of eggs in this run. There is Blue foot my Necked neck rooster looking proud, he is the daddy! I hope for Nn babies that grow Big and fast.

Back
Top Bottom