Serama chicks!!

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I'm going to pick up 4, 3 week old Serama chicks from a breeder on Sunday. The chicks weren't vaccinated as day olds against Mareks and I was wondering if it is too late to do so?

Also, any advice to a new owner of these tiny peeps? Do Seramas need anymore TLC than standard baby chicks?

Thanks!

(Pics will be posted on Sunday,
jumpy.gif
)

chick-a-bone2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
I think it's too late for the Marek's.
As for serama care, I raise my chicks just like bantams, regarding heat, and make sure that their food is fine enough so they don't choke (run it through a clean coffee grinder.) I put a little sugar in their water for the first few days too, as well as vitamins, and I keep glass aquarium beads in the base of the water to keep them from drowning.

Bantimna

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
South Africa
Serama's will need more TLC than standards.
About the Mareks, I think you might have a second chance to vacninate them but not at this stage.

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I contacted the breeder this morning and I've decided to wait on getting Seramas, I thought about the pros and cons and risks involved with getting chicks that weren't vaccinated and I don't want to chance spreading disease amongst my birds.

I'll just have to wait until I can find some hatching eggs and administer the vaccinne myself.

I was really looking forward to them too...
hit.gif

Top Bottom