Serious about Chanteclers...

Pics
I just found this thread, so very interesting! Love that you could get breeding stock from this gentleman, and good for you getting these chicks!
On developing breeding stock; only healthy, normal individuals can fit this category, Any issues at all (except injuries) should take a bird out of the breeding pool. This is separate from trying to save lives, a worthy goal, and wonderful if successful, but birds who need extra effort to live and thrive should not be breeding stock.
Have you contacted the breeder yet about this hatch rate? Going to see how your next hatch turns out first?
Here our success with incubators has been very poor, for several reasons, and leaves me with a poor opinion of my skill in that direction.
Candling those eggs would have given you a firm grasp of the fertility of their parents, very important information. Cackle actually mentions on their website (or did) that 50% fertility was their experience with this breed. With very small numbers, that's what's happened here too. Is it the individual rooster (only two here) or the fluffy hen rear ends, or what? Can you ask the breeder?
Mary

Last edited:
I just found this thread, so very interesting! Love that you could get breeding stock from this gentleman, and good for you getting these chicks!
On developing breeding stock; only healthy, normal individuals can fit this category, Any issues at all (except injuries) should take a bird out of the breeding pool. This is separate from trying to save lives, a worth goal, and wonderful if successful, but birds who need extra effort to live and thrive should not be breeding stock.
Have you contacted the breeder yet about this hatch rate? Going to see how your next hatch turns out first?
Here our success with incubators has been very poor, for several reasons, and leaves me with a poor opinion of my skill in that direction.
Candling those eggs would have given you a firm grasp of the fertility of their parents, very important information. Cackle actually mentions on their website (or did) that 50% fertility was their experience with this breed. With very small numbers, that's what's happened here too. Is it the individual rooster (only two here) or the fluffy hen rear ends, or what? Can you ask the breeder?
Mary

Mary, very good points thanks.

I already knew that I could not keep a weak bird for breeding purposes; sometimes one has to talk through the logic to overcome the emotions.

HOWEVER, on a big picture basis I need to configure additional runs/pens to accommodate what I am getting myself into. The presence of a weak bird raises the need for isolation space or routine culling or hand-off...

I did write and email to the breeder after careful crafting of words and sentences as my goal was to learn not offend. I now realize the need for candling but gave him details of result by family. He has yet to reply, I am patient and will be grateful for a reply whenever.

I, like you, go first to myself as the likely source of issue. Not quite sure what question in this regard you want me to ask??

I have recently learned of two additional breeders nearby (Montreal area) from which I can get fertilized eggs or chicks or... I have already asked Greg Oaks about his routine and show birds thinking I may want a different family source for the rooster.

The breeder I sourced from told me he was getting a 60% hatch rate.

On developing breeding stock; only healthy, normal individuals can fit this category, Any issues at all (except injuries) should take a bird out of the breeding pool. This is separate from trying to save lives, a worth goal, and wonderful if successful, but birds who need extra effort to live and thrive should not be breeding stock.
Mary
Mary, I'm not familiar with this breed. Is that your avatar? Quite a regal bird! Great advice to the OP.

Some pictures of mine; sorry for the interruption, Ted;
ten week old Cackle chicks
IMG_1434 (2).JPG
IMG_1388.JPG
mature hen
Mary

How often should I let my brood pullet (Diana Berry) roam?

Until today she would leave or be chased from the brood cage, no more. She would also venture outside starting about 3 days after the others were leaving (two seeks come Sunday); she gets some time outside everyday but not major.

There is both food and water inside her space.

Back
Top Bottom