Seriuos eye infection in Silkie - need help please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tishabel, Feb 24, 2014.

1. tishabel

tishabel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi. I am a new member but have followed many of you for a while. I need help please and I thought thus was the place to go...
    My silkie has had a serious eye infection for a few weeks. The right eye so far is the only one infected to date. The right eye has a huge pus ball under the lid and it is very firm - like a hard piece of cottage cheese. I wipe her eye every time I see her but it won't budge. Her nose is a little runny so Ii wipe that and there is just a little pus in her mouth. I read on another thread to use Tylan. I am going to start soaking her eye to see if I can soften it. It is so large her lid looks like it is going to pop. Every time I wipe her eye I am afraid I am going to do more damage. Her appetite is good.
    Please help... I love the little girl... I have had over 100 chickens but at this point I only have about 50 - and each one is special but this little one needs attention asap.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! I see you posted in the Emergencies section, hope you are able to get help for your girl and she recovers, good luck with her.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Welcome, great to have you joining the BYC flock

Sounds like a sad situation for you but let's try to get a
    soapy wash cloth and wipe in one direction and light
    pressure about 3 time a day at least .....

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about your Silkie. I have doctored a few hens from the brink of death, even having to bring them in the house and hand feed at times. [​IMG]
    I don't know if this is exactly what your hen needs, but I saved this girl with Duramycin 10 (a yellow powdered antibiotic). She had a respiratory infection and her head and eyelids swelled to the point that I thought they would burst. That was two years ago and she's fine now, as you can see from my avatar. I contacted the company for dosage information on the antibiotic, and they said for a sick chicken to put 1 Tablespoon in 1 gallon of water. You can buy the powder at feed stores. Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would take her to a vet before it's too late to save her vision.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well have you tried to wash the eye area as it just might cause blindness if you let it go too long [​IMG]

9. tishabel

tishabel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Thank you - I think I will do the Duramycin 10 - but I don't know how to clean the crud out of her eye. So far it has not affected her other eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by