Seriuos eye infection in Silkie - need help please

tishabel

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Hi. I am a new member but have followed many of you for a while. I need help please and I thought thus was the place to go...
My silkie has had a serious eye infection for a few weeks. The right eye so far is the only one infected to date. The right eye has a huge pus ball under the lid and it is very firm - like a hard piece of cottage cheese. I wipe her eye every time I see her but it won't budge. Her nose is a little runny so Ii wipe that and there is just a little pus in her mouth. I read on another thread to use Tylan. I am going to start soaking her eye to see if I can soften it. It is so large her lid looks like it is going to pop. Every time I wipe her eye I am afraid I am going to do more damage. Her appetite is good.
Please help... I love the little girl... I have had over 100 chickens but at this point I only have about 50 - and each one is special but this little one needs attention asap.
Thanks for your help.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! I see you posted in the Emergencies section, hope you are able to get help for your girl and she recovers, good luck with her.

images

Could be a respiratory ailment going on as well as eye infections. I would post this question in the emergency section here on BYC for more help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your baby.
hugs.gif

Sorry about your Silkie. I have doctored a few hens from the brink of death, even having to bring them in the house and hand feed at times.
I don't know if this is exactly what your hen needs, but I saved this girl with Duramycin 10 (a yellow powdered antibiotic). She had a respiratory infection and her head and eyelids swelled to the point that I thought they would burst. That was two years ago and she's fine now, as you can see from my avatar. I contacted the company for dosage information on the antibiotic, and they said for a sick chicken to put 1 Tablespoon in 1 gallon of water. You can buy the powder at feed stores. Best wishes.

Thank you - I think I will do the Duramycin 10 - but I don't know how to clean the crud out of her eye. So far it has not affected her other eye.

Back
Top Bottom