Setting Eggs Saturday April 20... anyone else?

Are any chicks quiet? I have one little turd that survived my first broody hatch - does not shut up. Ever. Even when under momma. After dark. I made a brooder today and it dawned on me I might have a dozen of those pipsqueaks in my living room - and we practically live in an open loft setup. YIKES!

Are any chicks quiet? I have one little turd that survived my first broody hatch - does not shut up. Ever. Even when under momma. After dark. I made a brooder today and it dawned on me I might have a dozen of those pipsqueaks in my living room - and we practically live in an open loft setup. YIKES!

Yikes! X2

I brooded my first chicks in my living room until they were 8 week old. There were only four of them. They were inside that long because my DH took a few weeks longer than planned to complete their coop. It wasn't too bad having them in the house as we were having fun watching them watch us. It was the white dust they were shedding that was their downfall. The first night in their new coop, they "cried" for a couple hours. It turned out they were afraid of the dark. In the house, I kept a light over their brooder 24/7 and they got used to that.

Aw, that's so cute they were afraid of the dark! The flock we have now was brooded downstairs, but wasn't connected to the upstairs where we lived by an inside stair or A/C system. They were in there for about 9 weeks - our coop was delayed too, isn't everyone's? - and the dust was AWFUL, but I figured it was because there were 30 of them. Now I guess it doesn't really matter how many you have, they're little dust monsters! I screened the top of the plastic brooder I made this weekend with 1/2" hardware cloth. Now I'm wondering if I should add actual screen or maybe some gauzy material from a craft store to trap some of the dust. I would put them downstairs again, but we're putting in a stair in the next couple days.

I know one thing for sure, I'm ready for final candle Wednesday & lockdown!!!
fl.gif

Oh no you guys! my temp spiked to 103 this am... i turned it down and then at lunchtime it was 105...!!! I could cry! I hear it shoud be okay... they are done developing now.. but still... I hope I didnt hurt them!!
hit.gif

What are you all doing for humidity during lockdown? i had issues last time, and my chicks came out a bit stcky....

Oh no you guys!   my temp spiked to 103 this am... i turned it down and then at lunchtime it was 105...!!!  I could cry!  I hear it shoud be okay... they are done developing now.. but still... I hope I didnt hurt them!!  :hit

What are you all doing for humidity during lockdown?  i had issues last time, and my chicks came out a bit stcky....

Oh no! I hope the temporary spikes didn't hurt them.

I am going to keep mine around 65%. It has been between 35%-40%.

I'm getting so antsy to candle one more time! I'm aiming for 65% humidity for lockdown. Its been weird here - nearly 5 inches of rain since Friday and I've still had to add water to the bator just to keep it in the 30's. I figured with the ambient humidity, indoors, in the 60's it wouldn't be necessary. All the dry hatching instructions say 50% ambient humidity ought to keep the bator at the proper levels with the plugs out.

Ready to lockdown this evening! I started them up about 3 pm so I am going to try to lockdown that same time. I know the time probably won't matter but since I'm at work anyway, it will work for me. I have silver laced wyandottes and RIRs just hatched last weekend in a friends incubator. I gave them to add to his and hubby surprised me with an early mother's day present a few days later--my very own bator. So what did I do? Fired it up with a few more eggs. I teach high school math and I am in serious chicken math trouble.... Ssshhh..Don't tell my students!

Back
Top Bottom