Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

Im on day 12.

lost most of my lav orpingtons, i have 2 out of 6 left:( the swedish flowers are doing pretty good,prolly around 12 of 17. and ive got about 8 outta 12 marans still going good as far as i can see.
We picked up a Coast 208 lumen flashlight at home depot that lets me see thru the shells well! I threw in a few more of my own eggers on fri, so ill have a few hatch out 6 or so days after the first batch.

So far im pretty happy with what still going,although i wish more of the orps would have made it, i'll order some more shipped lavs to put in around the 21st of sept maybe.
I did do some reading on shipped eggs and did what was suggested, let them sit for 24-48 hours then put them in the bator with the turner off for the first 7 days, i hand turned my own. supposedly it lets the air cell heal for a better hatch rate.

noelg

Day 13. I think I found 3 more that have quit. I am assuming they quit because I can no longer see veining but still the the blob that rolls around when candled. I left them in just in case I am wrong. Will remove on day 18 before lock down or if I smell a stinker again. My other seem to be very active and doing well. I keep candling due to air sacs that are all wonky. Trying to get them to correct enough that the chicks have a chance.

On another note...my roo did not fair well in the heat yesterday. When I checked on him yesterday afternoon he was very lethargic and panting heavily. I cooled him off with the hose and got him to drink a little water. Then he got to sit in the living room with the ac for a few hours. He went back to the coop around 9pm to hang with peeps. He was out first thing this morning wanting his food so I guess he will make it.

Wow twenty eight degrees, sorry to hear about the outage. Down here us the opposite. We have 103° threedays in a row so far. Chicken sooner,.might y try giving your chicks electrolytes to help them from getting dehydrated. I picked up stone for two bucks set the feed store and it will make fifteen gallons of water

Still going good so far with my Silkie eggs (8 out of 12 look promising). Of course, I'm checking pens the other night & notice our Blue Silkie hen is missing...turns out she's sitting on several eggs as well. Here's hoping she'll have better luck than I have to date
lol.png

I guess my broody got tired of waiting and she abandoned her eggs so I got them inside in the bator now. I candled and out of 13 I got 4 good babies and one iffy one. so its better then nothing i guess.
hu.gif

I have a question I found a breeder on Craiga list, down the road from me with copper Marans. They said there hens lay a #4 egg. I had no clue what that was till I looked them up. So for $2 an egg should I be looking for a better egg color or is that a good price.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom