Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

Day 17. My eggs have some seriously weird shaped air cells. I am kind of worrying that the chicks won't be able to rotate to position to pip.

Yep. Looks like the chick is ready to hatch before the others though. It can only peep after is pips through the air cell, but that's all he does. Peep. No movement or pips. So I cranked the humidity up and am leaving the lid closed. I'm out of the house anyway, so I couldn't check even if I wanted to. Hopefully when I get home she'll be pipped- or at least still alive. There's only a few more hours till she wil NEED to pip or she'll run out of air. Not much I can do besides wait :/

Yep. Looks like the chick is ready to hatch before the others though. It can only peep after is pips through the air cell, but that's all he does. Peep. No movement or pips. So I cranked the humidity up and am leaving the lid closed. I'm out of the house anyway, so I couldn't check even if I wanted to. Hopefully when I get home she'll be pipped- or at least still alive. There's only a few more hours till she wil NEED to pip or she'll run out of air. Not much I can do besides wait
hmm.png

Keep us updated. Hopefully you come home to a chick.
fl.gif

Just candled my 100 eggs last night and this morning. I threw out 15 that were clear are stopped developing. That leaves 85 of them going strong. Going into lockdown on Thursday the 13th and due to hatch on the 16th. Expecting a staggered hatch. They are all developing at different stages. Any idea why this happens. My last hatch was this way. It took a total of 5 days for all the eggs to hatch.

chicksooner, are they saddle shaped? That's what a lot of mine look like, but after a BYC search a lot of people hatch them without a problem...

swindledana, remind me what kind of incubator you are using? from what i've read different stages of development is often related to warmer and cooler areas of the incubator. If you aren't using forced air, you could try and rotate your eggs a bit so all of them get the warmer and cooler spots equally...

Yep. Looks like the chick is ready to hatch before the others though. It can only peep after is pips through the air cell, but that's all he does. Peep. No movement or pips. So I cranked the humidity up and am leaving the lid closed. I'm out of the house anyway, so I couldn't check even if I wanted to. Hopefully when I get home she'll be pipped- or at least still alive. There's only a few more hours till she wil NEED to pip or she'll run out of air. Not much I can do besides wait
hmm.png
Fingers crossed you will have a chick pipped (and maybe even zipped) when you get home! :)

swindledana, remind me what kind of incubator you are using? from what i've read different stages of development is often related to warmer and cooler areas of the incubator. If you aren't using forced air, you could try and rotate your eggs a bit so all of them get the warmer and cooler spots equally...
I have a homemade cabinet incubator with fan. I manually turn my eggs and wonder if this has something to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom