Seven week old chick lethargic, "sleepy", keeps apart from flock...

Source: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

Supportive Care
SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.
Man your print is huge!
sad.png
he.gif

I went and got the Corid and mixed it up in their water and all four drank from it...I hope that works! I also wanted to share the pictures of this little pullet...this was NOT the one that was sick yesterday morning. I've noticed that the area around her left eye has started to swell a little and she kind of looks like it's painful to open...??? Also noticed that the red pullet that was sick yesterday has a little drainage , but isn't shaking her head, rattling, wheezing, or sneezing, and otherwise acts fine and feisty...maybe from the rain?

I went and got the Corid and mixed it up in their water and all four drank from it...I hope that works! I also wanted to share the pictures of this little pullet...this was NOT the one that was sick yesterday morning. I've noticed that the area around her left eye has started to swell a little and she kind of looks like it's painful to open...??? Also noticed that the red pullet that was sick yesterday has a little drainage , but isn't shaking her head, rattling, wheezing, or sneezing, and otherwise acts fine and feisty...maybe from the rain?
That's so sad! Hope she/he feels better!
hit.gif

@kimmiekitten86 , if I were you I would weigh them on a kitchen or postal scale. Young poultry should make daily weight gains.

-Kathy

Update: I have a trusted friend who is far more experienced than me with chickens & works in her family's chicken houses take a look at them, and she immediately recognized the starting symptoms of LT and recommended I cull them, so that's what was done. I'm sad, but it was the best thing to do. I contacted the woman who sold them to me, and she is going to give me a refund as her chicks are showing the same symptoms. I won't buy from her again, but I know I've learned a lot and I hope she has, too. Anyway, I wanted to thank everybody for their advice and help.

As for my bathroom, where they were kept, every hard surface has gotten disinfected. Clorox Clean Up wipes are one of God's unsung miracles.

Back
Top Bottom