Sex- linked Information

This pullet is from a Buff Orpington rooster and a Barred rock hen. She was brown with a orangy coloured face at hatch. I believe if the chick had been a cockerel he would have been black with silver. Is this correct? This is my first hatch ever.

I'm not sure. Some of my projects work and some don't, but it is interesting and she is very pretty to me.

Last edited:

I Was hoping someone who knows about genetics could help of explain how I got this coloring I think it's beautiful and would like to do it again. These are mixed plymouth rocks for roosters I have a barred. And a white. For hens I have white. Barred. And buff. This baby was born white but by day two I could see barring and now they are just beautiful. Besides the green feet lol. One even has black and barred tail feathers really excited to see them full grown.

What has probably happened is that a barred bird has crossed with a white bird, either one could be male or female, and you get what in theory are solid white birds. The white is dominant white and that should turn any black feathers white. But that is theory. In reality we often get leakage. Leakage is where some random feathers show color that is not supposed to show. It’s really common, almost expected. From what I’ve seen it appears more pronounced in males than females but both often have it. I agree that Columbia is probably involved too, probably hidden under the white of the white parent.

Here are a couple of examples. In the first one the white ones are white sex link cockerels from Meyer that are crosses of RIR rooster and Rhode Island White hens. In theory they should be solid white but they are not. Silver should turn red feathers white, Dominant White should turn black feathers white. You can see different patterns and even colors.

This is a cross between a Speckled Sussex rooster and a Black Australorp hen. In theory it should be solid black but you can see the red/gold showing through. Others from this cross had dark red leakage instead of gold colored leakage.

To get more, just cross a white bird with a barred bird. It should happen.

Back
Top Bottom