Sexing at 4 weeks

ghislaincote

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
Hello all !

I have 41 ducks, and at 4 weeks they will start eating different food (breeders and meat). I would like to know who's a male and who's a female in order to make the 2 groups. Has anyone used the cloaca technique at 4 weeks. I have tried at a couple of days, but I wasn't able to see any penis. Is it easier to see since they are bigger ?

Thanks for your input !

Hello all !

I have 41 ducks, and at 4 weeks they will start eating different food (breeders and meat). I would like to know who's a male and who's a female in order to make the 2 groups. Has anyone used the cloaca technique at 4 weeks. I have tried at a couple of days, but I wasn't able to see any penis. Is it easier to see since they are bigger ?

Thanks for your input !
@Pyxis might know.

You can do it at four weeks, but it's actually harder because the birds are bigger and the vent is less elastic. I made a video of me sexing day old Call ducklings - with the right technique, the penis will pop right out.

Not saying you can't do it, I've even done a two and half month old goose before. It's just harder.

Its easiest when done at 3-7 days old.
The bigger they are the harder they are to hold with one hand and vent with the other.

If you aren't familiar with venting or don't have the confidence to do it right, I would suggest finding a professional to do it or wait another 4-5 weeks and sex by voice

Back
Top Bottom