sexing australorp chicks

jwilson48

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
hello i am new to this forum. i have been researching chickens like crazy for a while now. i recently got 9 black australorps just hatched. they are 6 days old now. i have read mixed reviews on whether you can sex australorps by looking at the wings so i wanted to ask and maybe get some fresh opinions. 2 of the chicks already have very long wing feathers. the other 7 are roughly the same size which is a lot shorter. these are purebred ba's. do i have 7 cockerels and 2 pullets? i sure hope not. i am wanting atleast 5 pullets. if anyone has any advice please let me know. thank you very much.

i wish it was that easy to get rid of roosters around here. everyone already has one, or more, except the ones who just don't want one. besides, chickens are tasty. i'd rather eat my own farm raised as i would something from the store.

hmm.png
My sister-in-law thought the same thing. She went with my brother to have the cockerels processed. As soon as she heard the frantic squawking as they were shoved in the killing cone followed by deathly silence, she broke down and cried. She continued to cry the whole 2 hour ride home with the meat. I eat chicken, don't get me wrong but I prefer to not know where it came from or what it looked like or what it's name was. I can't eat anything I have looked in the eye or named or played with!

Don't look them in the eye, don't name them, and don't play with them. Problem solved.
smile.png

keeping one to be my rooster, and eating the rest. i planned on eating them around 8 weeks, but i don't want to eat a hen thinking it's a rooster. i will probably just wait until they crow or lay an egg.

sad.png
I am sorry to hear you are planning on eating the extra roos. There are plenty of backyard flocks that need a rooster for protection and to keep order. I hope you give it a lot of thought when you find out the sex of your hens. So,enough,I'll get off my soapbox now! Welcome to the flock and the wonderful joy of chicken farming(the folks on here call it chicken math)!

the way i look at it to each their own. as long as nobody tries to get me to believe the way they do, i could care less. however, i think i am a carnivore. i love veggies, but i couldn't live without meat....and lots of it. might as well be the meat that i grow. i admit it will be hard. i already have become attached to my oldest little roo, but hey i also raise rabbits for meat, and i don't enjoy that either. it's part of life.

i wish it was that easy to get rid of roosters around here. everyone already has one, or more, except the ones who just don't want one. besides, chickens are tasty. i'd rather eat my own farm raised as i would something from the store.

hmm.png
My sister-in-law thought the same thing. She went with my brother to have the cockerels processed. As soon as she heard the frantic squawking as they were shoved in the killing cone followed by deathly silence, she broke down and cried. She continued to cry the whole 2 hour ride home with the meat. I eat chicken, don't get me wrong but I prefer to not know where it came from or what it looked like or what it's name was. I can't eat anything I have looked in the eye or named or played with!

Funny how a topic can go a different direction. I recently got 21 australorp straight run chicks and I would like to know how to sex them. I won't eat the roosters or sell them until the right breeder or individual come along.

c'mon guys somebody out there has to know the answer to my question. Right?

Back
Top Bottom