sexing australorp chicks

jwilson48

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
hello i am new to this forum. i have been researching chickens like crazy for a while now. i recently got 9 black australorps just hatched. they are 6 days old now. i have read mixed reviews on whether you can sex australorps by looking at the wings so i wanted to ask and maybe get some fresh opinions. 2 of the chicks already have very long wing feathers. the other 7 are roughly the same size which is a lot shorter. these are purebred ba's. do i have 7 cockerels and 2 pullets? i sure hope not. i am wanting atleast 5 pullets. if anyone has any advice please let me know. thank you very much.

c'mon guys somebody out there has to know the answer to my question. Right?

honestly, that is good news for me. i am really hoping more of my babies are little pullets than the wing thing is leading me to believe. i spent all night building a new brooder because my dad needed his old one back. how many chicks do you think my new brooder can handle? it is 4ft by 4ft. i love byc!

The hatcheries only guarantee 90 percent accuracy on sexing regular chicks (not sex-link chicks), and they have people who are trained to sex chicks.

In a month or so you should be able to tell which ones are pullets and which are cockerels. Do you plan to sell the cockerels or something else?

keeping one to be my rooster, and eating the rest. i planned on eating them around 8 weeks, but i don't want to eat a hen thinking it's a rooster. i will probably just wait until they crow or lay an egg.

keeping one to be my rooster, and eating the rest. i planned on eating them around 8 weeks, but i don't want to eat a hen thinking it's a rooster. i will probably just wait until they crow or lay an egg.

smile.png

You should be able to tell long before that.

I see you are just curious to know their sex. It seems everyone wants to know the sex right away, even if they plan on keeping the roosters or butchering them.

The Cornish Cross chickens bred for meat are butchered at 6 to 8 weeks old. With a dual-purpose breed like Australorp, you will need to wait longer to allow the roosters to grow. I am not sure what the best age is to butcher Australorp roosters, though.

sad.png
I am sorry to hear you are planning on eating the extra roos. There are plenty of backyard flocks that need a rooster for protection and to keep order. I hope you give it a lot of thought when you find out the sex of your hens. So,enough,I'll get off my soapbox now! Welcome to the flock and the wonderful joy of chicken farming(the folks on here call it chicken math)!

i wish it was that easy to get rid of roosters around here. everyone already has one, or more, except the ones who just don't want one. besides, chickens are tasty. i'd rather eat my own farm raised as i would something from the store.

Back
Top Bottom