Sexing baby chicks

NiteHawk

Chirping
May 11, 2018
I know that there are sex linked breeds, but we are not lucky enough to have anything like that.
I have seen a number of videos that show the difference in the feathering of pullets and roo chicks that are a couple of days. Some videos show that the pullets have shorter feathers between the longer wing feathers, and other videos show a second layer of feathers over the wing feathers saying this indicates a pullet..
Ummm well I have one chick that looks like a roo on one wing side and a pullet on the other wing side..
I also have some whos feathering that looked like a roo at a couples days old and now the feathering looks more like a pullet..
any thoughts??
thanks

I know that there are sex linked breeds, but we are not lucky enough to have anything like that.
I have seen a number of videos that show the difference in the feathering of pullets and roo chicks that are a couple of days. Some videos show that the pullets have shorter feathers between the longer wing feathers, and other videos show a second layer of feathers over the wing feathers saying this indicates a pullet..
Ummm well I have one chick that looks like a roo on one wing side and a pullet on the other wing side..
I also have some whos feathering that looked like a roo at a couples days old and now the feathering looks more like a pullet..
any thoughts??
thanks
I probably regret this but here goes. The last time I shared this a couple of members busted my chops. As I said my experience. My Grandfather showed me this technique over thirty years ago. In my experience it can be mostly effective. But sometimes it’s harder than others. Some breeds don’t fall under this sexing technique. I’ve mainly dealt with Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Red. I have been very pleased with the accuracy as far as my flock is concerned

4 ever orpinton..
Are you referring to the "wing sexing technic" as I never saw anything in your post referring to any "how to do" situation.....

IMO feather sexing only works for certain strains or hybrids bred for the trait. I've had many say feather sexing works for just about any breed or cross, but I figure there must be a reason why hatcheries employ vent sexers to sex most of their breeds.

Fast/ slow feathering as a sexing method for chicks only works if they carry that genetic trait. Some breeds or families within breeds have this trait, and many others don't.
It's fun to guess, and if you mark the chicks somehow, watch them grow and see how accurate you are.
Breeds with single combs can be sexed earlier than those with cushion or rose combs, and that's what I look for to get an early feeling for 'who's who'.
Mary

I have tried the wing sexing with my Bantam Cochin between day 3-5....has been pretty accurate...but of course NOT perfect. But fun to do...see how they develop and if I was right by the feather sexing...boy or girl:)

8F03AA19-BDB5-4676-97A9-E134F1B1647E.png
4 ever orpinton..
Are you referring to the "wing sexing technic" as I never saw anything in your post referring to any "how to do" situation.....
4 ever orpinton..
Nite hawk my Grandfather showed me to grasp the chick with one hand . Then gently extend the wing looking at the end of the feathers. Cockerel will have almost perfectly aligned tips the hen will be staggered. As I said before this has been fairly accurate for me with standard breeds only. But it not always accurate. Hope this helps. I included a picture for reference.

View attachment 1408854

Nite hawk my Grandfather showed me to grasp the chick with one hand . Then gently extend the wing looking at the end of the feathers. Cockerel will have almost perfectly aligned tips the hen will be staggered. As I said before this has been fairly accurate for me with standard breeds only. But it not always accurate. Hope this helps. I included a picture for reference.
I’m very careful talking about it. Due to the last time sharing my experience. It also works best in the first several days of their life. I currently have fourteen hens and one cockerel. The process yielded all birds sexes to be as believed to be.

Back
Top Bottom