Sexing chicks by wing feather?

yellowflower

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Bradford NH
I saw a post on this with pics but I can't find it now. Does anyone have some pics? I thought I would give it a shot with my silkie chicks.
Thanks

Thanks for the link! That is funny, I don't think it works on week olds? You have to do it when they first hatch is my understanding.

Well, I can only try
smile.png

Feather sexing

Feather sexing is easy, but it requires that the chickens be specially bred to manifest their sex in differences in the feathers as hatchlings. These are usually hybrids rather than true breeds, and are called sex linked chickens. Female chickens in these breeds have longer wing pinfeathers than the males do, which makes them relatively easy to tell apart. Most chickens do not have these traits bred into them, and the hatchlings are identical to all but the skilled eye of the professional chicken sexer.

Feather sexing became possible in 1969 after several years of genetic research by the Tegels Poultry Breeding Company. This method used to determine the sex of newly hatched chicks is only possible if a female from a slow-feathering breed is crossed with a male from a fast-feathering breed. The sex of the chicks produced from this cross can be determined during the first 48 hours after hatching by looking at the primary and secondary feathers located on the chick's wings. The primary feathers will be noticeably longer than the secondary feathers on a female chick. On a male, the primary and secondary feathers are the same length.

Back
Top Bottom