Sexing French Black Copper Marans

I had a Blue Copper Maran that started trying to crow at less than a month old. He is now 9 weeks old and an expert crower...
He also developed his comb and wattles very early, but maybe the breed typically does that...not sure.
I named him Big Comb...
big_smile.png

Some BCM boys will get really pink combs and wattles early on and there is no mistaking them for pullets. For the rest, it will take several more weeks before you know for sure. Depending on your line, some pullets actually have very manly features which complicates the whole thing.

From now until about 5 weeks they are all going to start looking like roos because they are starting to develop combs--so don't freak. Just be patient
smile.png

Oh, and crowing is a good sign you have a boy lol
cool.png

Marans not crowing but I have Black sex links that are only 8 weeks old that are crowing at everything. I feel so sorry for them because they soud like a very old rooster with asthma!
big_smile.png

Bravo.... I have four three week old BCM chicks and all but one have rather large pink combs. Should I start looking for new homes? I would be so upset if three of them turn out to be cockerels. Gunternomad, any ideas on your cickies yet?

Not yet and don't count your roosters before they crow when it comes to BCM's. The French Black Copper Maran is notorious for being very difficult to sex while young. From everything I've read so far, sometimes hens can take on seemingly male attributes in adolesents and Roos can really seem very feminine in looks and character for a long time. Some expert breeders can tell them apart at 10 weeks or even earlier but the rest of us usually have to wait. One true tell tale sign is if it crows it is a roo.

Gunternomad sure has it right! I have 10 French Black Copper Marans that are now eight weeks old. I was convinced that I had two pullets and eight roosters until just recently. The two I know are roosters started crowing when they were 3 weeks old and the two I know are pullets have very small pale combs. The other six have large red combs and wattles but do not crow. I now think that these six may actually be pullets.
fl.gif
So don't think about rehoming a BCM you think might be a rooster unless you hear him crow, he may be a pullet!!

Front and far back pullets with small pale combs
44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_003.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_004.jpg

The two birds (one sitting on far left and one standing) on the roof peak are my two crowing roosters
44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_008.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_010.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_011.jpg

Gunternomad sure has it right!  I have 10 French Black Copper Marans that are now eight weeks old.  I was convinced that I had two pullets and eight roosters until just recently.  The two I know are roosters started crowing when they were 3 weeks old and the two I know are pullets have very small pale combs.  The other six have large red combs and wattles but do not crow.  I now think that these six may actually be pullets.  /img/smilies/fl.gif  So don't think about rehoming a BCM you think might be a rooster unless you hear him crow, he may be a pullet!!

Front and far back pullets with small pale combs
44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_003.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_004.jpg

The two birds (one sitting on far left and one standing) on the roof peak are my two crowing roosters
44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_008.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_010.jpg

44342_fbcms_at_8_wks_old_011.jpg

Thank you, and Gunternomad as well for your wisdom. My husband pulled this link for me, after patiently listening to me worrying about my suspected rooster, and trolling BYC and stalking everyone else's rooster pictures. Thanks for the reassurance. Even years after the fact, you are helpful! Cheers.

May I have your opinions on sex of these BCM chicks? 3 weeks

Also 3 weeks:

Five weeks:

(I believe I have one of each here?)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom