Sexing French Maran chicks, advice please

KaytaComyn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
Hi, I'm in Australia. I've hatched 3 French Maran chicks but I'm worried they might all be roosters. They're three weeks old in these photos. Can anybody advise me?

I agree with @redsoxs about posting on the gender / breed forum. I'd say that the chick in the second pic could be a cockerel (based on comb development, posture and chunky legs) but don't take my word for it. Other pics may help folks out - focusing on head shots, including the comb. The second pic is fine, if you can take similar ones of the first and third, then it would be better.

I agree with CTKen. Those were exactly my thoughts about the second photo chick.

That said they are all too young to be sure of anything, so I would suggest posting updated photos of them in a few more weeks in the section mentioned.

One and 3 are definite cockerels. Number 2 could be a pullet (going by the sparse wheaten coloring on the head), but could also be a light colored cockerel. If that one has any black chest or leg feathers then it is also male.

I can see where even middle chick could be male as base of feathers starting to come in dark. Breed I am familiar with that has wheaton as a colortype is generally easy to sex by the second week post hatch. Difference is that I have not seen a light colored wheaton on male side.

I've got a new photo, hopefully it makes it easier to tell. Orange ring (middle) has light tan feathers coming through on the back of the head, as does purple (right) but green (left) seem to have dark head feathers. All their combs seem to be the same size. They're 5 weeks old here.

Back
Top Bottom