sexing

Ahh, the sexing question! You, me, and all of the rest of us BYCers would love to know, how do you sex a chick.

Sorry I could not be of any real help. I have been hatching for 2 years, I have no clue other than to wait fora few weeks and when their feathers start coming in post pics and then we can help you.
big_smile.png

Ya know... I haven't tried it yet, but! I have spoken with folks who pick up chicks by their heads. If it struggles, it's a roo. If it doesn't, it's a hen. Have heard everything from 80% and up for accuracy rate. Cup your fingers gently under their heads and lift slightly so their feet are off the ground. Just a quick and gentle lift.... sounds crazy, but who am I to object?
wink.png

When my roosters were babies they would try to attack anything shiny.
This is my first time having roosters (I had just bought grown hens previously) So who knows if this works for other roosters
smile.png

Take care!!
Michelle

This is the best way I know to sex chicks but still haven't determined if it really works as none of mine are fully grown that I actually did this to.

That depends somewhat on the breed. What breeds do you have? I can sex Barred Rocks from hatch, usually, but most chicks, you have to wait for the combs and wattles to pink up. Feather sexing does not work for all breeds, so dont go by that.

Last edited:
I watched that video and kept thinking how rough those machines are on the babies, and the way the sexers tossed the babies into the chutes looked rough. Yikes! I think I'm hatching all of my own from now on. lol

I tried feather sexing mine when they arrived from the hatchery a few weeks ago. I didn't mark males from females, but I did count them, which couldn't possibly be accurate, because an order of 25 chicks straight run with only 7 cockerels would take a miracle. lol

At two and a half weeks, my cochin boys are already starting to develop combs, but the silkies will be much harder to sex and will easily take a couple more months or longer before I'll be able to tell for sure. And yes, sexing barred rocks from day old is way easier than most breeds, but that's more coloring than anything.

I
tried feather sexing mine when they arrived from the hatchery a few weeks ago. I didn't mark males from females, but I did count them, which couldn't possibly be accurate, because an order of 25 chicks straight run with only 7 cockerels would take a miracle

If that's the case, it kinda makes one wonder how accurate those nurseries are (sexing)​

Back
Top Bottom