Shade ideas?

Jenjenners

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hilo, Hawaii
We just moved our ducks down to our pasture. They were used to being in a chain link dog run at night and when we aren’t home (with a large plastic dog kennel inside for laying and sleeping), and then free range and cruising around the upper yard when we are home. But it was definitely time—they were right outside our window, they were waking up our two college kids that are home, and our neighbors just moved back in on that side as well—no complaints yet, but I’m sure listening to Tina the runner duck quack at the top of her lungs at 5:30 am until I let her out wasn’t much fun. 🤪

I live in Hawaii, so it’s still super hot and there are really no predators that will bother full grown ducks—but I do worry about loose dogs. They are safer in the enclosed pasture with the goats, that way they can still be out during the day if we’re not home, but not in danger of dogs. And they have taken to wandering the neighborhood a bit more when unsupervised, so they’re definitely safer contained.

But it’s so hot down there! The dog run they sleep in has tarps and shade cloth, so they can get out of the sun, but it’s still pretty warm. Trees aren’t really an option because the goats will just eat whatever we plant. What are some good shade options we could add? The goat house is another shade option, but they are still scared of everything outside their run for now, don’t see them using it for a while... We were thinking of some lean-tos using old metal roofing, but anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• 19BC1F1F-7F07-426D-B40D-39DB292CF3FA.jpeg
    19BC1F1F-7F07-426D-B40D-39DB292CF3FA.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 22
  • 20483E79-1D82-4629-96F2-630BBCF2DF58.jpeg
    20483E79-1D82-4629-96F2-630BBCF2DF58.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 457307BB-91F5-43F4-886F-5516171C31D0.jpeg
    457307BB-91F5-43F4-886F-5516171C31D0.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 10
You can probably make a triangle shade by nailing 2 panels together. I bet that would be simple and nice. You can even nail some other boards on the openings, or cover them with other objects.
I'm not a farmer. I was just passing by 😂. I see all that land at your photos and I'm scared. I admire you all for taking care of so much land and animals. better wait on another farmers opinion because I know it's important to you. I don't know if it will outlast the hard weather

I'm not a farmer. I was just passing by 😂. I see all that land at your photos and I'm scared. I admire you all for taking care of so much land and animals. better wait on another farmers opinion because I know it's important to you. I don't know if it will outlast the hard weather
True, it will likely fall in the snow or hard winds Lol! But I feel like if it is a triangle, all the snow will fall off of it so it doesn't build up and break it, with wind you could tie it down but it still may break. Did you look at my gallery? We have a pretty good amount of land! Thank you! I love having a small farm!

True, it will likely fall in the snow or hard winds Lol! But I feel like if it is a triangle, all the snow will fall off of it so it doesn't build up and break it, with wind you could tie it down but it still may break. Did you look at my gallery? We have a pretty good amount of land! Thank you! I love having a small farm!
I'm new. I didn't know what the gallery is. I just checked your photos. Impressive. You are a happy man ☺️

Back
Top Bottom