Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I am feeling better about my kitchen scraps which are mostly veggies and a few bits of gristle that the cats feel should be for them. I don't think I am feeding myself a lot of bad stuff so I am feeling the chickens will be OK with it.
good :) People having been doing what you are doing for hundreds or thousands of years. Commercial feeds have only been around a few decades.

Here the Fruit & Veggie guys are not allowed to *give* you a box of vegetable scraps but they often will tell you sureptiously where the scraps are left for disposal & people help themselves. It can be very hit & miss. I'd usually wait for the lettuce to appear because my girls adore lettuce.

Morning all so took many photos for tax
This the banty coop still have cockerel to leave .. Am thrilled with the hen ratio in there.
006.jpg

You are a patient man for typing out that lot Shad! :bow There are a lot of things that might be said about it - 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' springs to mind - but I am astonished that they don't even seem to know the law here about kitchen scraps! (FWIW I think it's a very badly formulated law (again with good intentions behind it), but I don't advise people (in print, to boot!) to break it!) :th
Fortunately I didn't have to type it out and just used a file converter.

As I said when you first put us on to this lot's website, they're very good at monetization, so you can guess which way I'm inclining there :(
Edited to add that I don't think the alternatives are mutually exclusive; I think they are well-intentioned as well.
I would agree with you. What strikes me is, if they had put the same effort into the hens welfare and the aquisition of the required knowledge to ensure said hens welfare as they have into their publicity, their bnb style cottage, their website and the other promotions including their crowdfunding appeals etc I wouldn't be writing this stuff.
I've read later from @Folly's place that there are much worse examples in the USA.
I dare say there are others in the UK. This is one I have some knowledge of.

@Perris posted the UK Gov guidelines on poultry keeping. Thanks Perris I have a copy somewhere but so much stuff just got spread all over the place in the move from Catalonia and I can't find some of it now.
Perris also posted a rather disturbing video of what it seems is the reality in many case.
I posted a summary of various studies to do with chicken intelligence and behaviour.
I know some of the links require time to read, but believe me, they are worth reading and as the thread moves on I shall be refering to some of these studies to make my point rather than create links hoping they will be read at the time.

Back
Top Bottom