Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Another article I link to when an opportunity arises. There are quite a few others now. People will read this article and forget the information it contains because people don't want their chickens/pets/livestock/food to have any of the qualities such studies suggest chickens have.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-016-1064-4
Thanks for sharing this. It is an interesting read though in many ways not massively surprising if you spend time with your chickens.
I do remember though that the thing that surprised me most when I first encountered chickens was that they have personality. Which of course is now obvious but still a joy.

I had the great pleasure to have water buckets near empty yesterday .. I use nipples The one shown is 2 gallons use that at banties tractor. The same setup is on 5 gallon ones in the main coop. Yesterday through each one out the door to empty them . Last one slipped crahed in the mud splattering me with the cold water :smack
View attachment 2926007
I really must find the nipples I have some good old yogurt containers with lids that will be perfect for water

Thanks for these; they should save me from various chores this morning :D

I've only just got started, but have to offer a little annotation to a remark early on in the first one, "[chickens] have long been used as model organisms for vertebrate development" with a ref to something from 2005. In his History of Animals, Aristotle describes the daily development of the chicken embryo inside the egg (with the suggestion that the reader diy to confirm, btw, good empirical scientist that he was) - a 4th century bc version which holds up very well against https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/embryonic-development-day-by-day and usually astonishes anyone who knows about the topic when they read it. He saw more than most of us manage.
That Aristotle knew a thing or two. Shame so few paid attention to him while he was alive.

I had the great pleasure to have water buckets near empty yesterday .. I use nipples The one shown is 2 gallons use that at banties tractor. The same setup is on 5 gallon ones in the main coop. Yesterday through each one out the door to empty them . Last one slipped crahed in the mud splattering me with the cold water :smack
View attachment 2926007
People around where I live must think I live in a mud puddle I'm always splattered with it. With the chickens and out walking the dog

Thanks for sharing this. It is an interesting read though in many ways not massively surprising if you spend time with your chickens.
I do remember though that the thing that surprised me most when I first encountered chickens was that they have personality. Which of course is now obvious but still a joy.
Funny though don't you think. People have been keeping chickens for thousands of years and it has only been recently that much has been done to study much more than how to buther them and make them produce more eggs.

Hopefully these are viewable if you click on them for a full sized image.

PC121289.JPG
PC121291.JPG
PC121293.JPG

Back
Top Bottom