Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

SHRA TAx.
20210606_131438.jpg

This is the hen with the neck feather problem. One other has bald patches but not as widespread as this hen.
I must admit I'm a bit stumped on this one.
I cleaned and disinfected the area. Otherwise she seems fine. She's a good weight compared to the other and seems remarkably unstressed with the conditon.
One problem is Henry is quite large and heavy compared to the Ex Battery hens. Some of the Ex Battery hens don't crouch properly and tip back and forth.
That means Henry wobbles on top and grips the neck feather harder in order to keep his balance.
With some of the smaller hens Henry keeps his feet on the floor. The hens shoulder width is not wide enough for Henry to place both feet on the hens shoulders. Plus, some of the Ex Battery hens don't seem to know that they need to spread their wings a little to provide a larger platform for Henry's feet.
I've been a bit concerened that the hens might get cut under their wings on the side of their chest but I've looked at a few and no sign of damage.:confused:

P5080994.JPG

Believe it or not Henry is on that roost bar. The sickle feathers is all that gives him away. He's asleep. He stayed asleep while I checked his daughters crop, took one hen of the roost bar and two more got on.:D
P5080998.JPG

Is a push bike the same as an e-bike?
12 mile to and from is no problem with an e-bike. A friend of mine who is 81, makes much longer trips. (With his neighbour of 64, having coffees on a terrace in between).
I once toured Rome for a few hours on an ebike and it was very easy going. I didn't even break a sweat.

I did consider an e-bike. I've ridden a couple here in the UK.
They need charging and that means electricity and that has got expensive here and I think it's likely to stay that way.
They're really boring. You can't pull a wheelie on an e-bike!:D
The cost of a decent new e-bike is almost twice what I can pick up say a 250cc trail bike.

The more I think about it all the better the bus and train sound.:D
I'm very much in favour of public transport.
You can always get some reading done while using the PT.

I still use a normal bike. But my next one is probably an e-bike.

Buying a new e-bike is quite expensive. € 1500 - 4000. Charging a battery of an e-bike not. This costs maybe € 0,10- 0,15 ct. So charging costs are peanuts compared to gasoline or bus tickets.

Today I made a tile path to the door of the run.
4A444113-816D-4CE0-94F6-74DD72B32F0A.jpeg

I still use a normal bike. But my next one is probably an e-bike.

Buying a new e-bike is quite expensive. € 1500 - 4000. Charging a battery of an e-bike not. This costs maybe € 0,10- 0,15 ct. So charging costs are peanuts compared to gasoline or bus tickets.

Today I made a tile path to the door of the run.
View attachment 3098471
I still use a push bike too, but most of my trips are in the car because it's faster and i have so little time. Sometimes I prefer the train because there's a convenient station at the end of the street.

IMG_2021-09-30-16-56-27-193.jpg

Back
Top Bottom