Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Woods (of Modern Fresh Air Poultry Houses fame) claimed that the sort of coops he was recommending were "wholly satisfactory in severe northern climates where...temperatures may drop to 30 or even 40 below zero"; his book p. 181, citing testimony of preceding chapters.
I guess he must have asked a lot of chickens whether or not they would prefer to be on a tropical Island sipping fortified Nutridrench and eating crab meat with the local fruit and veg instead of sheltering from a gale in minus twenty centigrade temperatures eating a vegan diet and no space to run around.:D

I guess he must have asked a lot of chickens whether or not they would prefer to be on a tropical Island sipping fortified Nutridrench and eating crab meat with the local fruit and veg instead of sheltering from a gale in minus twenty centigrade temperatures eating a vegan diet and no space to run around.:D
I do not think my chickens are wholly satisfied with the current weather conditions. Not really sure what I can do about it though, it's not as if I can just pack them all up and move south for the winter. 🤷‍♀️😂

I do not think my chickens are wholly satisfied with the current weather conditions. Not really sure what I can do about it though, it's not as if I can just pack them all up and move south for the winter. 🤷‍♀️😂
I know the feeling! I’ve gotten 7 inches of snow in the past 48 hours, with more in the way today and tomorrow. High for today is predicted to be 27 F (-2 C) and will be in the mid 30’s once the storm system passes through. I never looked seriously into open air coops, though the idea seems like it has it merits and limitations. A few of my chickens have been huddling next to each other at night, but most are spread out still. Lows at night have been in the mid-teens, I believe last night was 17 F (-8 C). I’ll try to get a picture tonight when I go to check them before bed.

Even though nobody squats for me any more (it was Dotty that led that rebellion) I am still clearly the rooster from a protection point of view.
As some of you know, the Chicken Palace is large (I think Shad thinks it is too large) and the Princesses have a choice of predator secure coop, covered run, and open pasture runs.
In addition I have a fenced area where they can sort of free-range but only when I supervise. This open area is also quite large and I have noticed they always choose to forage near where I have decided to sit. It is actually an easy way to get them to go onto new ground simply by moving my chair.
This has puzzled me because though the area is large it is not so large that they cannot see me from every point in the yard, but they are clearly more relaxed if they are within about 5-6' of me.
I feel honored to be able to perform this duty for them.
Nope, I don't think it is too large. It's far far better than many I've seen and read about.
What I do think is that if I had built it I might have added a very much smaller inner coop for them to roost in. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy, just a simple box with a perch in it.

If you're really interested, yeah I can pm you. It's nothing big though, I just had to ascribe personhood ethics to commercial poultry farming to show I was paying attention in class

I think you should share it with everyone.

I have bookmarked to be able to find and read your paper.

Back
Top Bottom