Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Bit of a sad day here today, 3x 15 week cockerels off to their date with dinner. I've kept one, in the hopes we move to our larger property before 2 roosters on a smallish property becomes an issue. That's the outcome of hatching chickens though, and they go to feed a family. The entire flock goes on high alert when they see me coming with my net! I try to get the catching and boxing done as quickly and efficiently as possible and return to my usual non threatening, net-free, food-lady status.
Here is the lucky cockerel who gets to stay a bit longer, with his not so lucky brother behind him.
20220708_135136.jpg

Bit of a sad day here today, 3x 15 week cockerels off to their date with dinner. I've kept one, in the hopes we move to our larger property before 2 roosters on a smallish property becomes an issue. That's the outcome of hatching chickens though, and they go to feed a family. The entire flock goes on high alert when they see me coming with my net! I try to get the catching and boxing done as quickly and efficiently as possible and return to my usual non threatening, net-free, food-lady status.
Here is the lucky cockerel who gets to stay a bit longer, with his not so lucky brother behind him.
View attachment 3179084
Do you process them yourselves ? Also, I didn't get if you're the family they feed, or if they go to someone else ?
View attachment 3179190
Did anyone catch this? Is this for real? Lol. Holy cow. Too funny.
The alien rat 🤣. No, I didn't see it before!
When i had a deer issue i planted 3 times what i wanted especially of the things they liked most. I had a fenced garden area and an unfenced deer area. Wasn't perfect but helped.
We've been fenced since we started the garden 8 years ago but we take the fence a bit further each year. Now it's almost 7 acres of steep, rocky ground part of which is still brushwood, so it takes quite some time to go through it all. It's the first year we have this problem, we just can't find where they go through or jump.We do plant way more than we need, but they eat a lot!
Luckily they haven't found our backup squash and bean garden. It's the only garden that has grown well this year and it's got the best view 🙂.
IMG_20220708_192706.jpg

Do you process them yourselves ? Also, I didn't get if you're the family they feed, or if they go to someone else ?

The alien rat 🤣. No, I didn't see it before!

We've been fenced since we started the garden 8 years ago but we take the fence a bit further each year. Now it's almost 7 acres of steep, rocky ground part of which is still brushwood, so it takes quite some time to go through it all. It's the first year we have this problem, we just can't find where they go through or jump.We do plant way more than we need, but they eat a lot!
Luckily they haven't found our backup squash and bean garden. It's the only garden that has grown well this year and it's got the best view 🙂.
View attachment 3179286
One trick with deer is they don’t like to feel ‘enclosed’. They can jump over quite high fences, but they won’t jump over a much lower one into an area that is also fenced.
So what often helps is a sort of ‘double fence’ in areas you want to protect. Two fences about 4-6’ apart.
It doesn’t have to be the whole perimeter just where they are aiming for (you can often tell by looking for the tracks as deer are creatures of habit).
I have a tasty planting in one bed that I managed to stop the deer from destroying with just a 4’ length of deer fencing on step-in stakes. I put it in front of the shrub and there are pine trees behind. They could easily walk around my little bit of net fence but they don’t because it is like going into a tunnel between the fence and the trees.
Hope that helps.
I have had to do a lot of landscaping tricks to deter deer which are quite abundant here. And when all else fails, venison is very tasty!

Deer fence tax - Maggie waiting for the perfect moment to skewer a bug
E941EA39-2A99-42AB-B72C-F5C4B4570175.jpeg

One trick with deer is they don’t like to feel ‘enclosed’. They can jump over quite high fences, but they won’t jump over a much lower one into an area that is also fenced.
So what often helps is a sort of ‘double fence’ in areas you want to protect. Two fences about 4-6’ apart.
It doesn’t have to be the whole perimeter just where they are aiming for (you can often tell by looking for the tracks as deer are creatures of habit).
I have a tasty planting in one bed that I managed to stop the deer from destroying with just a 4’ length of deer fencing on step-in stakes. I put it in front of the shrub and there are pine trees behind. They could easily walk around my little bit of net fence but they don’t because it is like going into a tunnel between the fence and the trees.
Hope that helps.
I have had to do a lot of landscaping tricks to deter deer which are quite abundant here. And when all else fails, venison is very tasty!

View attachment 3179316
lovely photo!

Hope that helps.

View attachment 3179316
We have four gardens on three different levels- terraces (not sure that's the right term) separated by stone walls. It makes it kind of a pain to fence nicely, and also, we moved the fence further away because we didn't like being surrounded by fences. We'll have to do something temporary this season and find a better way next year.
lovely photo!
Most of @RoyalChick 's photos are very well done I think. A mix of a good camera and an eye for the right angle.

Most of @RoyalChick 's photos are very well done I think. A mix of a good camera and an eye for the right angle.
Awww - that is sweet of you to say.
On the fencing - I guess my point is that there are tricks without fencing properly that will deter deer. I have a very heavy deer load and no fence around the property (I am part of a wildlife corridor from a nature reserve so I think real fencing would be discouraged even if I wanted to) but by being a bit tricky I have managed to keep the deer damage to a minimum. Well, not really a minimum, but to a level I can live with.
I only use what here we call deer netting - which is like bird netting but bigger holes and temporary posts to support it. I move some of it each year to protect specific plants or areas as needed.
Two years ago they showed no interest in my fig. Last year they feasted on it. This year I put a double semi-circle of net in front of the fig and so far no deer have approached it even though they physically could if they tried.

Back
Top Bottom