Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Day off yesterday.

Mostly wet. Not pissing down, just constant on and off light rain. Not cold though and that makes things more bearable.
P3200598.JPG

Henry found himself a spot. Not quite sure what he was doing.:confused:
P3200599.JPG

P3200602.JPG

P3200604.JPG
P3200606.JPG

As you can see in the picture above, it was still daylight when when they went to roost.
Fret went to lay an egg just as I arrived. One of the first things I do is clean the coop out and usually Fret frets and calls Henry and goes out until I've finished. She still called Henry today, and he responded, checked what was going by sticking his head in the coop. However, Fret then got back in the nest box and stayed there apparently a lot less nervous about me cleaning around her.
No sign of any egg like deposits from Lima. But it's been 48 hours so I may have missed it. She seems Lima normal today.

There are a few simple things like prevent the sharing of water and food that are niether hysterical nor particulalry difficult.
Shy of keeping them behind 1" or smaller hardware cloth, there is no way to keep all wild birds from drinking from the same water source.

not a bad picture for having been taken by a cell phone through binoculars.
Not bad? I'd say quite good! I've never thought about using binoculars as a zoom lens for a camera. Very good!

Well, i can see why the coop roof leaks.
Yep, Wouldn't a couple of sheets of metal roofing be easier to deal with than plastic that rots in the sun? Of course since you are supposed to be moving maybe you don't want to put any effort into it.

My eldest persuaded me to watch Clarkson's Farm. She mentioned that she had watched me do many of the things in the series and thought I might like it.
I'm not a fan of Jeremy Clarkson but I must admit, I've enjoyed what I've watched of the series so far.
I had the same experience - can’t stand the chap but got lured into the series.
If you haven’t watched the movie ‘Biggest Little Farm’ you might like that. It has some very relatable situations and is worth watching for the scene with the ducks and the snails alone.

Viewing tax: Wild water cooler gossip
A2249D8B-F5AE-4B7D-8B10-9AAAB448B345.jpeg

Yep, Wouldn't a couple of sheets of metal roofing be easier to deal with than plastic that rots in the sun? Of course since you are supposed to be moving maybe you don't want to put any effort into it.
Was trying to keep it low cost, as my wife isn't a huge fan of me dumping money into coop repairs.

Yes that keeps everything from drinking out of the "pond" but what keeps the wild birds from drinking out of the same vessel the chickens drink out of?

I have house sparrows in the barn a lot. And when I open the stall coop in the morning the idiot birds that flew in the open auto chicken door can't figure out how to escape. Not through the door they flew in nor the people door I opened to go in.

the idiot birds that flew in the open auto chicken door can't figure out how to escape.
Same. Sparrows get in and can't get out. I watched for a couple of hours on Sunday to see how they're getting in so I can close it up. Nothing happened until I went inside the house. When I came out again, lo and behold! A kajillion sparrows had got themselves trapped in the run while I wasn't watching.

Back
Top Bottom