Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hi, Shad and everyone. I hope everyone’s doing well, along with their chicken tribes.

I’m just popping in to say hi. I’m down to seven chickens and they’re all doing very well. I’ve been trimming little Mills claws and that’s helping her get around better. Getting around better is making her ascites reduced. It’s amazing how ranging makes chickens healthier in general.

The lady who I was gonna buy chicks from, turned out to be a bit of a flake. I don’t think I want to get chicks that are four weeks old… I’d like to raise them from little fluff balls. But I might change my mind.

I need to find some good pictures to post. For now, here’s Buttercup… She is refusing to go to bed. Everybody else has gone to roost. I love that the days are long, so the Birds get to run around and forage, scratch and exercise, even though I have to work. I let them out the moment I get home.

I call this little part of the yard the chicken pasture. I had let it grow to 2 feet tall, but just mowed it this past weekend. They are having fun finding all kinds of morsels of goodness down in there.

E82CFE9A-2ECB-4D21-A759-3C09D6023AA7.jpeg

Five hours today. A couple of people came by to water their plots; otherwise we had the place to ourselves. Warm and dry but not a lot of sunshine. It looks like Lima managed to expell another lash egg of sorts. I cut it open, it wasn't poop but it wasn't like the other lash eggs. I'm hoping that as long as she can get the lash eggs out she'll have a more gradual decline than if they got stuck.:confused:
The deposit.
View attachment 3516240

Lima bathing. Always a good sign.
View attachment 3516246

Relaxing in the breeze. It's hot in the run. The bare ground gets warmer than a patch of sheltered soil. The only deep shade at the moment is under the coop.
View attachment 3516260
View attachment 3516244View attachment 3516241

Fret is still broody. One donation from Ella which I removed. She's eating and drinking when I get her off the nest but not much and she wants a decent dust bath but won't go far enough from the coop to find a good patch.
View attachment 3516245View attachment 3516242

The structure on the right is going to be a shade box. That's the small coop in front.
View attachment 3516239

View attachment 3516238View attachment 3516237View attachment 3516236
Just LOOK at these lovelies having a good life! This makes me immensrly happy. I wish I could retire TODAY, and have my chickens run around all day long. For now, they did get 2 to 3 hours after I get home on weeknights and most of the day both weekend days. Precious these feather friends are. I love them so much.

I know - Babs is now eating them at a good clip so I best get a move on!
Maybe I will do beans with Artemisia later this week - any special tips or just cook 'em all together?
I also make a bean salad which I eat cold - I usually chop some parsley into it, maybe I will try the Artemisia instead.
Certain types of artemisia can be distilled into absinthe. Let us know if that salad makes you feel a little strange... :D

Five hours today. A couple of people came by to water their plots; otherwise we had the place to ourselves. Warm and dry but not a lot of sunshine. It looks like Lima managed to expell another lash egg of sorts. I cut it open, it wasn't poop but it wasn't like the other lash eggs. I'm hoping that as long as she can get the lash eggs out she'll have a more gradual decline than if they got stuck.:confused:
The deposit.
View attachment 3516240

Lima bathing. Always a good sign.
View attachment 3516246

Relaxing in the breeze. It's hot in the run. The bare ground gets warmer than a patch of sheltered soil. The only deep shade at the moment is under the coop.
View attachment 3516260
View attachment 3516244View attachment 3516241

Fret is still broody. One donation from Ella which I removed. She's eating and drinking when I get her off the nest but not much and she wants a decent dust bath but won't go far enough from the coop to find a good patch.
View attachment 3516245View attachment 3516242

The structure on the right is going to be a shade box. That's the small coop in front.
View attachment 3516239

View attachment 3516238View attachment 3516237View attachment 3516236
I can't help but to wonder if the other people using the allotments have an honorific for you, "the chicken chap" perhaps.

I'm glad to hear Lima is still with you. Whatever she is expelling, better out than in.

Last edited:
Certain types of artemisia can be distilled into absinthe. Let us know if that salad makes you feel a little strange... :D
"Absinthe,Artemisia absynthium is native to temperate regions of Eurasia and Northern Africa and widely naturalized in Canada and the northern United States. It is grown as an ornamental plant and is used as an ingredient in the spirit Absinthe as well as some other alcoholic drinks."

https://botanicalatelier.co.uk/blog...hium is native,as some other alcoholic drinks.

Or perhaps you will find yourself writing a confusing but great work of literature...

"During the Belle Époque, the Green Fairy – nicknamed after its distinctive colour – was the drink of choice for so many writers and artists in Paris that five o’clock was known as the Green Hour, a happy hour when cafes filled with drinkers sitting with glasses of the verdant liquor. Absinthe solidified or destroyed friendships, and created visions and dream-like states that filtered into artistic work. It shaped Symbolism, Surrealism, Modernism, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism and Cubism."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20140109-absinthe-a-literary-muse

Tax. This is Stripe, one of Tina's chicks. Feels like twice the weight of the other two, and with a red comb emerging. Too early to tell, but looking a bit rooster-ish. :love
IMG_20230523_154055.jpg

"Absinthe,Artemisia absynthium is native to temperate regions of Eurasia and Northern Africa and widely naturalized in Canada and the northern United States. It is grown as an ornamental plant and is used as an ingredient in the spirit Absinthe as well as some other alcoholic drinks."

https://botanicalatelier.co.uk/blogs/news/absinthe-artemisia-absynthium#:~:text=Absinthe,Artemisia absynthium is native,as some other alcoholic drinks.

Or perhaps you will find yourself writing a confusing but great work of literature...

"During the Belle Époque, the Green Fairy – nicknamed after its distinctive colour – was the drink of choice for so many writers and artists in Paris that five o’clock was known as the Green Hour, a happy hour when cafes filled with drinkers sitting with glasses of the verdant liquor. Absinthe solidified or destroyed friendships, and created visions and dream-like states that filtered into artistic work. It shaped Symbolism, Surrealism, Modernism, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism and Cubism."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20140109-absinthe-a-literary-muse

Tax. This is Stripe, one of Tina's chicks. Feels like twice the weight of the other two, and with a red comb emerging. Too early to tell, but looking a bit rooster-ish. :love
View attachment 3516674
I am only having one meal of it with beans per @GregnLety's Lety's recipe. It is Babs you should be worrying about - I am sure she has a great work of something in her (possibly not literature), and she feasts on it several times a day every day.
There is a lot of it, but it isn't monoculture - she has plenty of choices, but she really likes it. Honestly that is why I haven't dug it up before because she was enjoying it so much.
The others also eat it but not as obsessively as she does.
It has many properties including supposedly keeping down bugs - maybe she is self medicating. Maybe she is enjoying hallucinations. She hasn't shared her secrets with me.

Back
Top Bottom