Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Congratulations to @RoyalChick for the shining spirit badge!
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Congrats Royalchick!

Sometimes my intestines need time to ….. Boring to wait. If I have my mobile at hand I might read and text on my iPhone 📱. Not very different behaviour from people who take a newspaper or magazine with them.
Before mobile phones there were magazines for this purpose. At a flea market once I even came across a fancy chrome fitting that was a combination toilet-paper-holder-and-magazine-rack!

Finding out exactly what the carcasses are used for is difficult. We know some go to feed peoples cats and dogs but from what I can gather there is nothing to stop them being used for human consumption.
I have no moral objection to eating animals, but I would like the animals to have a happy, healthy life for their time on the planet and not be abused and tortured.

That's my thinking.
I've had dogs and chickens live together without any major problems but they were farm dogs that lived outside and had generation of livestock herders and guards before them.
On the other hand I've had city supposedly trained dogs kill chickens and try to kill sheep.
I've had to break 2 adult Huskies. Maya has 99.9% confidence and Donna about 75 %. Needless to say that Donna isn't allowed unsupervised time with our birds.

Seems, from what I’ve read, that people too easily ascribe aggressive behaviour to roosters.
4 of my 5 boys are super friendly, they like to be petted and snuggle and the 5th is a proper cockerel! He has taught the others how to behave with the ladies and to respect his authority, he is a good King. 3 will will be officially Roosters in 10 days and 9 of my lovely pullets will be officially hens! It has been an amazing and rewarding year watching my little floofs go from peeps to full grown chickens. I will have to come up with a special Birthday treat for them!

Yes same thing here, almost a 3 hr drive be there early… they don’t have a minimum but it’s not worth the gas in my truck to just bring a few. I brought a few Roos I couldn’t rehome a couple yrs ago.

I don’t know, maybe if I raised a bunch of them this year, and brought them down it would be worth it. The person I sell eggs to is interested in any silkie Roos I may process’s, as they are black meat and his Filipino friends think they are a delicacy, the black meat is supposed to be something special. :confused:

After tonight’s horrible ‘butterball’ turkey I am ready to grow up some and process them. Like my neighbour says though ‘don’t name your livestock’.

And can turkeys and chickens be raised together???
Just from my personal experience turkeys and chickens get along fine. Our flock of turkeys grew up with a few chicks that hatched simultaneously. Two young cockerels still live with the turkeys. And we range the turkeys with all of our chickens with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom