Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

11C, dry with a light wind.
Not making a lot of progress with my herb plot, but what I have transplanted has survived so far. I can't find a healthy looking lemon thyme anywhere. I've got some dill to go in and I may plant some fennel, mainly for the seeds.

Henry and Dig had a bit of a scrap today. Dig thought better of it after a few moments. Off to see a troublesome rooster tomorrow morning in the hope I can work out what this person is doing wrong. If I can't, then the rooster is going to get eaten.

P3130404.JPG
P3130402.JPG
P3130403.JPG
P3130406.JPG

Off to see a troublesome rooster tomorrow morning in the hope I can work out what this person is doing wrong. If I can't, then the rooster is going to get eaten.
🤞🤞
If Dig definitely can’t stay, wont you look for an address where he is welcome to show off, be stupid and mate a couple of hens?
I managed to give away all my cockerels in the past. And never for the freezer in the nearby future.

She knows I've been depressed, but I have not let on just how much.
:hugs :hugs :hugs
You should, and tell her you miss your chickens so bad that your life became miserable. Talk to her and be an open book.

Wish you lots of strength doing so. If she really loves you she will understand you need some sort of animals (and preferably chickens) for your wellbeing.

Just thinking out loud:
Maybe she will agree in the end on buying 2 small bantams or real tiny chickens like A-Serama’s. Make friends (on BYC?) with someone who lives not too far away who has Serama's to show her what they are like.
Unfortunately @fluffycrow lives too far away. But you can start to read about them.

Serama's don't need much space at all. Some people even keep these indoors with a diaper. Think about how and where you can keep them. Do you have a spare room, a garage or can you build a coop attached to the house?
You have a small garden don’t you? Maybe you can keep two indoors in winter and outside in one of these flimsy little prefabs with an attached run when the weather is fine.

You should, and tell her you miss your chickens so bad that your life became miserable. Talk to her and be an open book.

Wish you lots of strength doing so. If she really loves you she will understand you need some sort of animals (and preferably chickens) for your wellbeing.

Just thinking out loud:
Maybe she will agree in the end on buying 2 small bantams or real tiny chickens like A-Serama’s. Make friends (on BYC?) with someone who lives not too far away who has Serama's to show her what they are like.
Unfortunately @fluffycrow lives too far away. But you can start to read about them.

Serama's don't need much space at all. Some people even keep these indoors with a diaper. Think about how and where you can keep them. Do you have a spare room, a garage or can you build a coop attached to the house?
You have a small garden don’t you? Maybe you can keep two indoors in winter and outside in one of these flimsy little prefabs with an attached run when the weather is fine.
I agree with your point about talking about it - I would be devastated if I couldn't care for any animals at all.
I think @no fly zone now lives in a very urban part of the state - more like an extension to Manhattan - so I am not sure the garden idea will work (hopefully I am wrong). But people do keep birds like pigeons and doves on the roof - even in Manhattan, so maybe that would be a possibility?

Just thinking out loud:

No garden at all. What little property we have is covered in cement and brick pavers. My wife is well aware of semaras and chicken diapers. She has never been a fan of animals in the house. Even as much as Skeksis was a part of the family (to me anyway), I rarely had her inside the house. And I could be in Manhattan in about 10 min.

Hi
No garden at all. What little property we have is covered in cement and brick pavers. My wife is well aware of semaras and chicken diapers. She has never been a fan of animals in the house. Even as much as Skeksis was a part of the family (to me anyway), I rarely had her inside the house. And I could be in Manhattan in about 10 min.

Have you come across this organisation?
https://www.nycgovparks.org/greenthumb/45-years
Seems they have chickens in community gardens in the Bronx, Brooklyn & Manhatten. The maps are handily coded. Might not be your kind of thing &, if not, please forgive my presumption in suggesting it

Back
Top Bottom