Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think so too. I would like to raise all the meat I eat.
I traded 2 extra alive jakes for about 20 lbs of grass fed beef a couple weeks ago . They had gotten 3 jennies from me a month earlier.
They just moved out of Chicago at the start of covid ....started raising their first calf. More meat than they thought from the butcher.
We both thought it was a good trade

My bantam rooster,who had and still sometimes has a very inadequate behaviour with hens, tried to mate with my bantam broody when he was ten months old, but she did not let him. He was also quite aggressive with her chicks, and would possibly have hurt them in a closed run.

My other rooster who is far more balanced never insisted when a broody refused, even at the same age.
One of the chicks has been attacked on two successive days. Mom and chicks are now confined within the run. I think it was the rooster, but don't have proof. And I don't want to get proof. Poor little Chick.

Post about the initial attack is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-27655459

The only way the isolation might work would be to move him to where he can't even see the others, for a while, but honestly, that would probably make him depressed if it were longer much longer than a week or 2. :-( They are so complex.
Yes, they are indeed. I gave him another shot with 2 of the young ladies who seemed interested in joining him this morning, and it went better today. As soon as the EE pullet squawked he let her go. She became a little gunshy of him after that and kept dodging him,but to his credit he didn't charge or jump her again. He had more success with the RIR, as she's a tough little lady who seemed untroubled by his excessive attention. So he bought himself at least another week.

On another positive note, the hens (led by Agnes, the bold little Speckled Sussex) made their first trip back to the tree-line where the Eagle struck just over 2 weeks ago. Pedro was on high alert, but all went well.
IMG_20240416_075112708~2.jpg
IMG_20240416_075213855~2.jpg
IMG_20240416_075821205.jpg

This article would have benefited from a glossary of terms!
Be careful what you wish for ;) :D

What I'm currently reading starts with this...
LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS
Apo, apolipoprotein
BMI, body mass index
CHD, coronary heart disease
CVD, Cardiovascular disease
DASH, dietary approaches to stop hypertension
FMD, flow-mediated dilation
HDL-C, high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
HOMA-IR, homeostatic model assessment for insulin resistance
LDL-C, low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
MCFAs, medium-chain fatty acids
MedDiet, Mediterranean Diet
MetS, metabolic syndrome
MFGM, milk fat globule membrane
MPLs, milk polar lipids
MUFA, monounsaturated fatty acids
PREDIMED, Prevención con Dieta Mediterránea
PUFA, polyunsaturated fatty acids
PURE, Prospective urban rural epidemiology
RCT, randomized controlled trials
SCFAs, short-chain fatty acids
SFA, saturated fatty acids
SM, sphingomyelin
T2D, type 2 diabetes
:thIt's enough to put me off before I've even begun reading it!

Be careful what you wish for ;) :D

What I'm currently reading starts with this...
LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS
Apo, apolipoprotein
BMI, body mass index
CHD, coronary heart disease
CVD, Cardiovascular disease
DASH, dietary approaches to stop hypertension
FMD, flow-mediated dilation
HDL-C, high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
HOMA-IR, homeostatic model assessment for insulin resistance
LDL-C, low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
MCFAs, medium-chain fatty acids
MedDiet, Mediterranean Diet
MetS, metabolic syndrome
MFGM, milk fat globule membrane
MPLs, milk polar lipids
MUFA, monounsaturated fatty acids
PREDIMED, Prevención con Dieta Mediterránea
PUFA, polyunsaturated fatty acids
PURE, Prospective urban rural epidemiology
RCT, randomized controlled trials
SCFAs, short-chain fatty acids
SFA, saturated fatty acids
SM, sphingomyelin
T2D, type 2 diabetes
:thIt's enough to put me off before I've even begun reading it!
Oh goodness.
The article I was meaning needed a glossary is simpler - it was the one on Pyrethrum/Permethrin insecticides.
It had the following terms that should have been listed out.

Permethrin: A synthetic insecticide

Pyrethrins: A collective noun describing the multiple different compounds in Pyrethrum (see below).

Pyrethroid: A descriptor of any synthetic insecticide whose chemical structure is based on a Pyrethrin. Permethrin is one of the more commonly known Pyrethroid insecticides.

Pyrethrum: A crude extract of dried chrysanthemum flowers. Also a generic name for some species of chrysanthemum.

Actually, writing it out really helped me get it straight!

To summarize the article (while I am on a roll!):

Pyrethrins - are natural, are not very toxic except to insects, but are not light stable. Pyrethrum contains many different Pyrethrins.​

Pyrethroid insecticides - are synthetic, light stable, and highly toxic to cats. Permethrin is a specific type of Pyrethroid.​

I think I got that right!

(Edited to put them in alphabetical order)

Last edited:
I traded 2 extra alive jakes for about 20 lbs of grass fed beef a couple weeks ago . They had gotten 3 jennies from me a month earlier.
They just moved out of Chicago at the start of covid ....started raising their first calf. More meat than they thought from the butcher.
We both thought it was a good trade
Bargain I would say.
It will be interesting to find out whar Dig tastes like. I don't eat shop bought chicken so basically I very rarely eat chicken these days. It's the resting after plucking and gutting that I found important when it came to cooking. I've roasted a few middle aged roosters who should have been as tough as old boots but the one we roasted was pretty good; tougher than the shop chickens, but still very good to eat.

Back
Top Bottom