Shamo mating injury

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
My shamo roosterr seem to be a bit over ambitious at 20 weeks. He has injured one of the shamo pullets whilst attempting to grab her by the neck. As a result the pullet is now bleeding from the neck.

I have sprayed her with some antiseptic and put her in the same coop for the night, but come tomorrow I am thinking it would be best to isolate her to allow her to heal ?

Do I isolate the rooster or the pullet, as there are other hens/pullets of various ages in the group along with another rooster (10 months old) but i have noticed the shamo rooster seems to focus on this one specific injured pullet only.

Some roosters are more aggressive than others. Young roosters also tend to be rougher with hens. And if there is more than one rooster around, that can increase mating aggression. Some roosters also show a preference to certain hens - often those that are slower and easier to catch.

Can you separate the hen with a few other pullets for a while until he gets a little older and more experienced, and until she can heal up?

Back
Top Bottom