strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
If you have no interest in reading my entire bantam story(I can't blame you, it's pretty long) then just read this. SO basically this is a thread for lovers of bantams(Large silkies are allowed as well) (Chickens or Ducks) to unite, chat and share pictures, all breeds are welcome(mixes also) feel free to post pics, stories, or just engage in generalized bantam chat!

I am a lover of bantams, I purchased my first two as chicks when I was very young(five or six) however around four or five years ago my mother sold them to a family friend(Without my permission...) However in May, I went to a poultry show, and in the 'for sale' section there was such an assortment of Old English Game Bantams, that I just had to get a few! I ended up taking two hens home that day, and buying a rooster (Who would be in the show cage until the next day) from the show organiser. It ended up costing thirty dollars for my trio, and I love them! Introducing:

Gary! A quirky character is little Gary, he crows in competition to my RIR cockerel (In my main flock) and thinks he is truly the best roo in existence. He actually doesn't crow at the break of dawn like Reggie(my RIR) and instead waits until around 10 am to announce his presence to the world. He gets overly excited about roosting (I have to place a light in my OEGB kennel so they can see in order to get up onto the roost) anyway, when he sees the light in the kennel, he skips dinner and races to roost. I always have to remove him from the roost and make him eat dinner, and then he remembers that he is actually pretty hungry, silly boy.

Raisin Cookie & Milk! An odd name for an odd bird(Gifted to her by my younger brother) RC&M can never decide where she lies in the pecking order, one moment she's on top, and the next she's on the bottom. I'm pretty sure she was from a project line, if so I'm not breeding her(Whops...)

And last but not least...

Freckled! Freckled is the bossy-pants of the group, always putting the other two in their place, and constantly squabbling with RC&M for head of the pecking order. She'll put Gary in his place when he gets over excited, and she's not afraid to stand up too anything... Even my Rhode Island Reds, when they (Inevitably) invade the yard. She is very chatty and always the first to investigate when something in the yard is amiss, and is never afraid of the tame (And stupid) muscovy named Forrest (If anyone gets my reference) when he lumbers into the yard every morning to squeak until he is fed breakfast.

Here's some pics of my pretties-
Gary is the black and white roo, freckled is the ginger hen and RC&M is the brown and white laced one.
upload_2018-7-28_17-43-25.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-43-56.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-44-23.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-44-48.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-45-33.png

And the muscovy Forrest on his daily plunder of the yard(The yard does need a tidy up)
upload_2018-7-28_17-49-23.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-49-49.png

upload_2018-7-28_17-50-23.png

Now for the silkies.
I have two silkies, named Friz, and Porg, that I love very dearly, they are only young but I love them. (I don't know their genders BTW they are only six & a half weeks old, I'm just calling them he's because it's easy)

Meet Friz! Friz is a partridge silkie with a personality bigger than his afro of a topknot! Due to his crest getting in the way a lot, Friz tends to bump into things, thus meaning he spills a heck ton of food, and is quite clumsy. He's a big softie and loves falling asleep in the crook of my arm(which is pretty inconvenient if I need to do something but I don't want to wake the little baby...) unfortunately his buddy Porg will often jump over(In some kind of attempt to fly I can assume) and land beside or on him, waking it up and spoiling the peace for everyone, which brings me on to my next silkie:

Meet Porg! Porg is a white silkie with barely any topknot. He tends to be the more highly strung of the duo, flying(or attempting to) and preening my finger(which is surprisingly painful) whilst I try to pet him... He loves cuddle too, and will happily snuggle up next to his buddy, and go to sleep, but I have noticed he tends to be a very light sleeper, always on edge and awake at a moments notice. Despite being a bit crazy, I still love him!

Friz is the Partridge(Brown) one and porg is the White one :)
upload_2018-7-28_18-11-42.png

upload_2018-7-28_18-11-59.png

Enjoy! I'd love to hear your bantam stories!

View attachment 1483911 here is my hen or name is Trixie and the chick under her is the only egg let she hatched the others did not make it but the chicks name is pixie View attachment 1483914 she for some reason loved to sit on the food bowl when she hatched lol

Aww! She looks like a good mama:love I'm assuming the little one had a rough hatch?

View attachment 1483919 and here is my rooster bantam not sure what breed lol
Wow! He is a lovely looking boy, my first birds were cochins (my VERY first was an odd silkie-cochin crossbreed) so I've always had a soft spot for cochins :) Which as Liljoe stated he does look like a silver pencilled bantam.

I have 9 seramas and 1 silkie.
Some serama chicks from earlier this year:
View attachment 1484047
I love Seramas! They are sooo tiny:love unfortunately I don't think we have them in NZ yet :( ... Are you breeding to show or as pets?

Aww! She looks like a good mama:love I'm assuming the little one had a rough hatch?

Wow! He is a lovely looking boy, my first birds were cochins (my VERY first was an odd silkie-cochin crossbreed) so I've always had a soft spot for cochins :) Which as Liljoe stated he does look like a silver pencilled bantam.

I love Seramas! They are sooo tiny:love unfortunately I don't think we have them in NZ yet :( ... Are you breeding to show or as pets?
Thank you yes my broody and chick had a a hard hatch but the mother a a bad brood she got ants and something went wrong with her comb and she had to come in side for a while then she ate two of her eggs and one had a chick in it that I think died on day 14 and Trixie was the only one that made it but her mother had been broody a couple of times before that but the bigger hens kept on breaking her so she has always wanted to become a mother but never had the chance and she was so happy when she hatched and know she is starting to lay eggs again

Thank you yes my broody and chick had a a hard hatch but the mother a a bad brood she got ants and something went wrong with her comb and she had to come in side for a while then she ate two of her eggs and one had a chick in it that I think died on day 14 and Trixie was the only one that made it but her mother had been broody a couple of times before that but the bigger hens kept on breaking her so she has always wanted to become a mother but never had the chance and she was so happy when she hatched and know she is starting to lay eggs again

Awww! It's great that she hatched a little one in the end! Pixie is adorable!

Back
Top Bottom