Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

Genetics maybe aren't the best way to start a morning, lol.

Oh, even easier way to test this theory - are any at all of the chocolate ducklings female? If yes, breed them to Duck. If any ducklings at all hatch expressing chocolate, Duck carries chocolate.
Yes. . the lighter one in question is in fact a girl.
20181028_171358.jpg
I need to get you an updated pic of her.
But question. . I thought it only took one parent to carry the chocolate to get a girl? 2 for a drake? So how would that prove duck was carrying the gene?
Please excuse my ignorance :oops:

But question. . I thought it only took one parent to carry the chocolate to get a girl? 2 for a drake? So how would that prove duck was carrying the gene?
Please excuse my ignorance :oops:

Right, so any ducklings at all being chocolate proves that he carries it :) He will pass chocolate to roughly half of his female offspring, which would make them chocolate right off the bat. But that's hard to see on a mallard base.

So breeding him to this girl does three things: First, if she's homozygous for the E base, no mallard base ducklings to make it hard to spot chocolate. If she does carry mallard base, we still have half the ducklings coming out on E base. Secondly, she'd be passing chocolate to all her sons too. So if Duck carries chocolate, he'd be passing it to half his sons. So the two together could produce chocolate drakes, which gives a larger pool of ducklings that chocolate might express on.

Lastly, she can only give chocolate to her sons, and only one copy, so unless the ducklings are getting copies of chocolate from him too, none of them can be chocolate. So if any chocolate ducklings at all hatch from that breeding, Duck has to be carrying chocolate. And if none do, then he's not, and it's back to the drawing board.

Right, so any ducklings at all being chocolate proves that he carries it :) He will pass chocolate to roughly half of his female offspring, which would make them chocolate right off the bat. But that's hard to see on a mallard base.

So breeding him to this girl does three things: First, if she's homozygous for the E base, no mallard base ducklings to make it hard to spot chocolate. If she does carry mallard base, we still have half the ducklings coming out on E base. Secondly, she'd be passing chocolate to all her sons too. So if Duck carries chocolate, he'd be passing it to half his sons. So the two together could produce chocolate drakes, which gives a larger pool of ducklings that chocolate might express on.

Lastly, she can only give chocolate to her sons, and only one copy, so unless the ducklings are getting copies of chocolate from him too, none of them can be chocolate. So if any chocolate ducklings at all hatch from that breeding, Duck has to be carrying chocolate. And if none do, then he's not, and it's back to the drawing board.
Ok, I think I understand all of that except the part where she can only give chocolate to her sons. That part is over my head a bit.
Why is that? My understanding was that 1 chocolate copy from either parent could make a chocolate girl.
Wow this is confusing! :lau

I don't think duck will like being separated from Jane. :gig
But I may have to do this just cause my curiosity is killing me! I could put them in the condo together around the end of January. .it's currently empty. Then I could steal her eggs and incubate them!

Ok, I think I understand all of that except the part where she can only give chocolate to her sons. That part is over my head a bit.
Why is that? My understanding was that 1 chocolate copy from either parent could make a chocolate girl.
Wow this is confusing! :lau

I don't think duck will like being separated from Jane. :gig
But I may have to do this just cause my curiosity is killing me! I could put them in the condo together around the end of January. .it's currently empty. Then I could steal her eggs and incubate them!

In Sex-link color genes, females only carry one copy (received from their dad), and they only pass it to their sons.

In Sex-link color genes, females only carry one copy (received from their dad), and they only pass it to their sons.
Ah ha! Ok. That was the missing link. So drakes can pass it on to both sons and daughters. . hence the reason thea was able to pass it to little tiger. . meaning tigers dad had a chocolate gene also. . meaning duck had to pass it to Ralphie dux. . Ralphie dux is the father of Alex the blue Bibb .. Who then fathered both chocolate colored ducklings.
:lau:lau:lau
In theory anyway. :lau
Did I get that somewhere in the ball park of accurately repeating what I think I've learned here? :gig

HEY I just remembered I DID have one other pastel from duck and Jane that made it to hatch! It was one of the ones I traded for the three unrelated females. I just text her to see if she remembers if it was a girl or not. :clap
Would be nice if she still has it maybe I could get a picture. :woot
She takes forever to text me back usually. . so I'll be waiting a while in sure. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom