She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

They still are made by Savage. I know that Stevens used to be a pretty good brand. I wasn't sure now...

We don't have many tree rats here, but I use my Winchester Pump as well. Love that gun.
I lucked out when I bought mine. I knew zip about shotguns, but wanted one of my own so I wouldn't have to borrow one. Walked into the local Montgomery Ward's, armed with my plastic money, & told them I wanted a shotgun. The clerk started rattling off the different brands. I didn't want a Remington 'cause I didn't want a nylon stock. I knew enough to know that Winchester was a good gun. That was in '63, I believe; the last year the model 12 was made in the US...the next year they started making them in Japan. I gave $112 for it. It was a collectible from the day I bought it. Sweet gun!

Today is day 19 for my broody banty. I'm kind of excited and kind of nervous at the prospect of babies hatching in the coop. She had refused to sit if contained in anything. This morning I did shut the door to the "cage" she is sitting in to keep the others from pushing her out to lay and she did stay sitting. In the past when confined she would leave the nest to pace. So tonight I think I am going to put water and food in there and close it and then just check on her real early. I'm afraid that if she isn't "locked in" the others will push her off to lay and then if the eggs are pipping/hatching the other hens will kill them. The others are usually done laying by 2 in the afternoon, so after that they all leave her alone, it's just the morning/early afternoon hours that really worry me.

My Spitzhauben has now been sitting 4 days, so I want to check for development. She is not a very nice broody. I've heard of worse, but my banty is such a push over and the spitz is just the opposite...lol

fl.gif
for seeing some action soon and no problems!

One of my silkies was in the nest box this morning, and an egg was just outside the box, in front of her. She was trying to scoop it back into the box. There's a 2x4 there, so I doubt she will get it up and over. I don't know if it was her egg or the other girl's, since they lay in the same box. I didn't reach in to get it, so it will likely be broken when I get home. I hope she isn't going broody on non-fertile eggs.

fl.gif
for your babies. So what's your prediction for hatch day? Has she been off the nest enough to push it back a day or so? And you've been getting cooler weather now, right? Does that delay a hatch?

I love my Savage 223. Shoots well for a cheaper rifle.
My .243 is my 'go to" gun for deer these days, though I've killed far more with the 94 Winchester 30/30 out to 110 yds. I just got really fond of the lower recoil of the .243 (advancing age will do that to ya). I should have spent the extra $$ & got one with the adjustable Accutrigger, but after the first year I swapped the stock trigger mechanism out for a Timney, which I like a lot better.

My .243 is my 'go to" gun for deer these days, though I've killed far more with the 94 Winchester 30/30 out to 110 yds. I just got really fond of the lower recoil of the .243 (advancing age will do that to ya). I should have spent the extra $$ & got one with the adjustable Accutrigger, but after the first year I swapped the stock trigger mechanism out for a Timney, which I like a lot better.

I do my deer hunting with my Ruger .270 or my compound bow, squirrels/chipmunks with my pellet rifle. Though I have quite a few other firearms to choose from, those are my most-used.

Finally got all caught up! I've been hatching since Friday night and boy am I tired. All of my eggs hatched except for 1. As of this morning it's still alive, so :fl
Otherwise, this was a great hatch! I've got 8/9 fluffy, Silkie babies in the brooder. 2 eggs pipped the wrong end. The first had appeared to be shrink wrapped before pipping. The air cell took up about 85-90% of the egg before pip. Me and Amy both thought that egg was probably doomed. But after pipping underneath, it zipped all by itself the next day, totally unassisted. The second wrong end pipper was underneath and all the way at the pointy end. After a spike in humidity to above 90%, I decided to take out the egg shells and rearrange the eggs that weren't doing anything yet. This one egg was glued down to the paper towel and I had to pull it off. As soon as I did, I heard peeping. I turned it upside down and down towards the pointy end was a big hole and a beak sticking out! So I had no idea when it pipped. I'm surprised it could breath with the fluid that leaked out and glued it down. After at least 24 hours, it still hadn't progressed, so I began slowly assisting and had to eventually hatch it out myself. But it's doing great now! I've got a mix of colors, so I know I'll need Ravyn's help. 2 paint, 1 very adorable partridge that looks just like a chipmunk, 3 black with silver wing tips and 2 that look pure silver, like metal. Feet and 5 toes all look perfect, very vaulted skulls, and jet black skin! Very nice stock. I'm looking forward to breeding these in spring! Thanks everyone, especially Amy (she walked me through the hatch), I greatly appreciate all the support and encouragement through this hatch. I tested a few new theories on shipped eggs and air cells, so pm me if anyone wants to talk shipped eggs. Sorry for the novel! This is the only place I can share so many details everyone else has no idea what I'm talking about when I say "pip", "zip", and "air cells"! :love

Finally got all caught up! I've been hatching since Friday night and boy am I tired. All of my eggs hatched except for 1. As of this morning it's still alive, so :fl
Otherwise, this was a great hatch! I've got 8/9 fluffy, Silkie babies in the brooder. 2 eggs pipped the wrong end. The first had appeared to be shrink wrapped before pipping. The air cell took up about 85-90% of the egg before pip. Me and Amy both thought that egg was probably doomed. But after pipping underneath, it zipped all by itself the next day, totally unassisted. The second wrong end pipper was underneath and all the way at the pointy end. After a spike in humidity to above 90%, I decided to take out the egg shells and rearrange the eggs that weren't doing anything yet. This one egg was glued down to the paper towel and I had to pull it off. As soon as I did, I heard peeping. I turned it upside down and down towards the pointy end was a big hole and a beak sticking out! So I had no idea when it pipped. I'm surprised it could breath with the fluid that leaked out and glued it down. After at least 24 hours, it still hadn't progressed, so I began slowly assisting and had to eventually hatch it out myself. But it's doing great now! I've got a mix of colors, so I know I'll need Ravyn's help. 2 paint, 1 very adorable partridge that looks just like a chipmunk, 3 black with silver wing tips and 2 that look pure silver, like metal. Feet and 5 toes all look perfect, very vaulted skulls, and jet black skin! Very nice stock. I'm looking forward to breeding these in spring! Thanks everyone, especially Amy (she walked me through the hatch), I greatly appreciate all the support and encouragement through this hatch. I tested a few new theories on shipped eggs and air cells, so pm me if anyone wants to talk shipped eggs. Sorry for the novel! This is the only place I can share so many details everyone else has no idea what I'm talking about when I say "pip", "zip", and "air cells"! :love

:weee. I am so happy for you!

Finally got all caught up! I've been hatching since Friday night and boy am I tired. All of my eggs hatched except for 1. As of this morning it's still alive, so
fl.gif

Otherwise, this was a great hatch! I've got 8/9 fluffy, Silkie babies in the brooder. 2 eggs pipped the wrong end. The first had appeared to be shrink wrapped before pipping. The air cell took up about 85-90% of the egg before pip. Me and Amy both thought that egg was probably doomed. But after pipping underneath, it zipped all by itself the next day, totally unassisted. The second wrong end pipper was underneath and all the way at the pointy end. After a spike in humidity to above 90%, I decided to take out the egg shells and rearrange the eggs that weren't doing anything yet. This one egg was glued down to the paper towel and I had to pull it off. As soon as I did, I heard peeping. I turned it upside down and down towards the pointy end was a big hole and a beak sticking out! So I had no idea when it pipped. I'm surprised it could breath with the fluid that leaked out and glued it down. After at least 24 hours, it still hadn't progressed, so I began slowly assisting and had to eventually hatch it out myself. But it's doing great now! I've got a mix of colors, so I know I'll need Ravyn's help. 2 paint, 1 very adorable partridge that looks just like a chipmunk, 3 black with silver wing tips and 2 that look pure silver, like metal. Feet and 5 toes all look perfect, very vaulted skulls, and jet black skin! Very nice stock. I'm looking forward to breeding these in spring! Thanks everyone, especially Amy (she walked me through the hatch), I greatly appreciate all the support and encouragement through this hatch. I tested a few new theories on shipped eggs and air cells, so pm me if anyone wants to talk shipped eggs. Sorry for the novel! This is the only place I can share so many details everyone else has no idea what I'm talking about when I say "pip", "zip", and "air cells"!
love.gif

That is so wonderful!!! I can't wait to see the little fuzzbutts. Persistence pays off!!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom