Shed/Coop Combo Design Help

How would you finish this dividing wall?

• Open mesh - let them breath!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close it off (while providing other ventilation). Them birds are messy!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Either

• Neither

• Total voters

tigerlily1586

Hatching
Jun 6, 2019
:frowHi! We've begun construction on a multipurpose shed+coop. The first image is of the dividing wall between the two, the second image is the idea we're stemming from (raised coop floor, pull out storage drawers underneath).

I'm stuck on how we should do with this wall? I love the open look and the ventilation using just mesh would provide, but NOT on the dust. The other section of this will be my potting shed and house our lawn mower/equipment. We live in northern MN, so it's not terribly hot during the summers, but winters are miserable. Any advice from you experts?:bow

I have some old farmhouse windows that I thought we could mount within a solid wall for visibility, ventilation, and access - would that be enough ventilation? All 3 exterior walls will have windows and vents higher up. Or, if we maybe kept the highest section with open mesh ventilation, would it still be a dusty mess inside the shed? As a new chicken keeper, I'm not sure what to expect from a flock. Any help (or tips) are greatly appreciated :love
Our coop section:
IMG_8507.JPG

Finished Idea:
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 6.50.36 AM.png

if we maybe kept the highest section with open mesh ventilation, would it still be a dusty mess inside the shed?
Yes, most likely......my coop is in part of a large shed, but divider wall is all mesh..and the dust is all over everything that doesn't get touched or moved regularly. Does't really bother me but I do drag the shop vac out there once a year and get a lot of it up.

What you choose to do might depend on overall building ventilation, you need some protected ventilation all year round(pics of whole shed please?) and what else you store in the shed.

Oh, and ...Welcome to BYC @tigerlily1586
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-8_19-17-8.png

Last edited:
My contractors will be starting my shoop this week! I'm doing a solid wall with an old hinged window in it to spy on my First Ladies. I'll have venting at the eaves and hinged (at the top) windows on the other walls (north, east and south). At 2,500' in the southern Appalachians, our summers are pretty cool, especially at night. And our winters really aren't too bad.
The shed will be for tool, mower storage, potting bench and accessing the nest boxes, which will be in shed, not the coop. I figured I'd make the only access to the coop, other than the pop door, from the shed to reduce the possibility of critters (bears) getting my chicks.

Bears don't need doors.....put up hot wire, keep it hot and bait with bacon.
Sorry @tigerlily1586 for the thread drift.

People shoot bears around here and they pretty much know it! Neighbors all around have chickens and free-range them without incident. Tho last weekend I did have a young bear on my porch just outside the open slider! I yelled at it and it took off over the gate and up the hill into the woods. The Plott bear hound was on break!

Love your coop!
This is exactly my dilemma....I want a raised coop but I need a shed portion to store feed, bedding, etc. I have never raised chickens but plan on going all in. So.....I have to get it right the first time :)
Please keep us posted on what you've done right, any changes you wish you'd made, what ventilation you use on the partition wall.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom