Shiela update-- had surgery on sour crop today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopMOM, Nov 12, 2008.

1. coopMOM

coopMOM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Chickens in the OC!
    Shiela had surgery today on her sour crop. All of the avian vets said they hadn't or wouldn't perform the operation, so luckily I live with someone who was a surgeon for 50 years! My grandfather and I performed it and she is improving drastically now. I am giving pedialite and an antibiotic which I would tend not to, but I let grandpa take over. I am planning to integrate the acv and yogurt tomorrow. Pedialite seems to be working wonders though. Any ideas, or suggestions?
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE AND ESPECIALLY jeaucamom FOR HER OPERATION INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SITE.

I hope she will make it. It was the only hope.[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, you are brave! I dont think I would be able to attempt it. I sure hope she makes it...sounds like you have it all under controll. Give grandpa a big old hug.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] Wow! That's incredible!! You are one luck chick to have a surgeon in the family!! How much did he charge you? [​IMG] Hoping that Sheila makes a quick and complete recovery. You ROCK, coopMOM!!!

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Fantastic! I hope she recovers quickly! [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would do what you are doing...you may want to give her some scrambled egg in a day or so. You could order Avian Charge 2000. dlhunicorn told me it has all the butrients they need in it and you can get it from McMurray and Stromberg's.

Grandfather's are excellent and being a surgeon makes him more excellent. Hug him and tell him thanks for a job well done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by