Shopping list for new chicks (and some other general questions)

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
My first chicks are coming in a week and about three days, and i have a few questions that I've gotten conflicting answers about.

number one: a shopping list (or checklist, whichever is more accurate), I'm going out tomorrow to purchase everything at the feed store, the only thing i have is the waterer because i saw it a cute purple few months ago and decided to get it early.

number two: can i raise my chicks in an old reptile tank? It's a fifty gallon tank that used to belong to my bearded dragon Roxy Heart before she passed away because of her first owners abuse, it's sort of important to me that i raise something else in her tank it's pretty stupid. The glass is very thin, less then a fourth of a centimeter, i figured I'd wrap it in tape to keep the chicks from walking into the glass (i don't know if chickens can see glass but it can't hurt right?).

Number three: what temperature should the cool side be at? I wanted to raise them in my room, but i keep my lizard and my tortoise in here too. Both are up to date with the vet and parasite free so I'm not super worried about cross contamination (though i am still being very cautious) but my other animals heat lamps make it pretty hot in my room, I'd guess eighty five until around five pm. I could keep them in the garage, it's the only other place my family is okay with them being but animals get in some times and i would be devastated if one of them got eaten before moving outside.

number four: what should i do with them when they get here? Like to i just put them into the brooder and that's it? Probably but i just want to make sure, also the proper bedding for day old chicks is pine shavings right? But not anything with cedar because that can cause respiratory issues (correct?)

Number five: I'm going to be raising them with a heating pad instead of a heat lamp to prevent fires, this does mean they will sleep right? I mean i know they sleep no matter what but will they be at least mostly quiet at night? I don't mind peeping here and there but i don't want to disturb my family.

number six: at what age should i add roosts to the brooder?

Number seven: at what age can i bring them outside for a little while?

Number eight: what treats can i give chicks and at what age. I love to feed my chickens the unwanted greens and oats from my kitchen (i'm allergic to oats so they get lots, it's my adults favorite, especially rooster, he tries to jump into the nest boxes when he wants some but he's so big now he doesn't fit so he just falls back down).

Number nine: (last one i promise) four chicks is enough right? I assume so since a friend of mine raised one batch of four and a second separate batch of three with only one fatality (dog attack) but i once again want to be one hundred percent, they will have enough friends right? I have five adult chickens so they won't be alone forever but i just want to be sure. Not that there's anything i can do to change the order now though, this is more just my worries that feel the need to be proven wrong.

I know this is a lot but i just want to be completely clear on the details before my chicks get here i don't want to screw up their little lives. I am very excited but also a tad terrified one of them will have some irreversible condition because I've read up on all of the diseases, so i want to give them the best start possible before they go out with my big guys.
Still very excited about them I've wanted them since early last year when i first started my research so this has been a very long time coming:love
thanks to all, please enjoy your day!

I use old fish tanks for all my chicks. I like to let them see out and I can watch them......make a mess. Lol
They also let in sunlight if they are near a window. Just make sure your tank has a top. Some like to jump.

Personally- I wouldn't raise them in the fish tank. That's a recipe for overheated chicks and won't have enough ventilation. There's a big difference between drafts and ventilation. Use a cardboard box - or a big dog crate- something with better ventilation and more space! Also- make sure there's enough traction. For the first few days a lot of us use paper towels so we can easily see what the chick poo looks like to spot problems early. After that, my favorite is the "Nature's Bedding Pellets" or "Dry Den" (or whatever brand of compressed pine bedding pellet-- NO CEDAR. CEDAR can kill them. Anyways- I like the pellets moistened down a bit to soften them up. They soak up the moisture from the chick poop - whereas the shavings will stick to the poop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-build-better-brooder-for-raising/

Whatever you do, please don't feed them oatmeal!!! Here's why:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/

For the first week we just use paper towels to feed the chicks on. If you'll be home the whole time, you can just provide enough that they eat what's there in a few minutes.

Starter list:

Feeder, chick starter- for brooder raised chicks I usually go medicated- skip the treats for the first week or two. They have very little food capacity so even small treats take up a lot of room - and they need that room to be stuffed with high-nutrient stuff, not treats.

Potentially life saving items you should ALWAYS HAVE:

1. Vetricyn (or vetricyn plus) for poultry. The price will be a shocker for such a little bottle but it's amazing stuff and a little goes a long way.

2. Nutridrench - a nutritional boost if you get a chick that's weak when it comes out of the box

3. CORID - buy either the liquid version or the powdered version. If you have a chick with coccidiosis, having CORID sitting at the ready will save them. If you figure out you have a sick baby at 8:05 when all the feed stores are closed, you'll really, REALLY wish you had it because the turnaround is swift. The key to recovery can be that the chick is still willing to eat and drink.

4. Also get a few syringes- not the needles- just the plastic part- a few 1cc and 3cc and 10cc syringes. It makes precise measurements SO much easier.

5. No-pick lotion or blukote. Personally I find the no-pick to be so much more effective than blukote at keeping the chicks from making a little injury into a life or death emergency.

6. Blood stop powder. You can use flour or cornstarch- but a bottle of blood stop powder is inexpensive and very convenient.

7. Cat claw trimmers- those little scissor kind. Sometimes you get chicks with really hooky sharp claws and it impedes their gait- and they just need a teeny little pedicure. Cat claw trimmers won't put the downward pressure that people nail trimmers will- and they're nice and sharp. This is where having blood stop powder is great too- just in case you nick it.

8. Several rolls of Vetwrap (Koflex or whatever the brand) in various sizes. You'd be amazed and what this stuff gets used for. Another thing you don't want to have to run to the feed store to get in an emergency.

9. Neosporin ORIGINAL. No pain relief- anything with -caine (i.e novocaine, lidocaine etc) can kill a chick and a chicken. They have a very low tolerance. So never buy anything that sais "pain relief or pain free' or the like.

Here's an excellent guide:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-complete-chick-care-guide/

Last edited:
Sounds like you've thought this out more than I did when I got my first chicks.

All you really need for baby chicks is a heat source, feeder, waterer (you can start them on a nipple waterer Day 1), chick starter, and bedding. I would recommend you have a tube of plain triple antibiotic ointment on hand. Now, if you want to get fancy, you can get a small flat container to give them a dustbath, and a bottle of nutri-drench. Your reptile tank should be fine.

I don't think the cool side of the brooder is as much an issue as the hot side, because they will move to where they feel most comfortable. As long as they are fed, watered, and cozy, they shouldn't peep too much.

I didn't give treats until mine were 1 mo. old. Started with mealworms and scrambled eggs. Easy to digest stuff until I started giving them grit, and then they could eat seeds, greens, grains, bigger bugs.

Four chicks is fine for starters. Better to start with too few than too many. Good luck with your new chicks!

Personally- I wouldn't raise them in the fish tank. That's a recipe for overheated chicks and won't have enough ventilation. There's a big difference between drafts and ventilation. Use a cardboard box - or a big dog crate- something with better ventilation and more space! Also- make sure there's enough traction. For the first few days a lot of us use paper towels so we can easily see what the chick poo looks like to spot problems early. After that, my favorite is the "Nature's Bedding Pellets" or "Dry Den" (or whatever brand of compressed pine bedding pellet-- NO CEDAR. CEDAR can kill them. Anyways- I like the pellets moistened down a bit to soften them up. They soak up the moisture from the chick poop - whereas the shavings will stick to the poop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-build-better-brooder-for-raising/

Whatever you do, please don't feed them oatmeal!!! Here's why:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/

For the first week we just use paper towels to feed the chicks on. If you'll be home the whole time, you can just provide enough that they eat what's there in a few minutes.

Starter list:

Feeder, chick starter- for brooder raised chicks I usually go medicated- skip the treats for the first week or two. They have very little food capacity so even small treats take up a lot of room - and they need that room to be stuffed with high-nutrient stuff, not treats.

Potentially life saving items you should ALWAYS HAVE:

1. Vetricyn (or vetricyn plus) for poultry. The price will be a shocker for such a little bottle but it's amazing stuff and a little goes a long way.

2. Nutridrench - a nutritional boost if you get a chick that's weak when it comes out of the box

3. CORID - buy either the liquid version or the powdered version. If you have a chick with coccidiosis, having CORID sitting at the ready will save them. If you figure out you have a sick baby at 8:05 when all the feed stores are closed, you'll really, REALLY wish you had it because the turnaround is swift. The key to recovery can be that the chick is still willing to eat and drink.

4. Also get a few syringes- not the needles- just the plastic part- a few 1cc and 3cc and 10cc syringes. It makes precise measurements SO much easier.

5. No-pick lotion or blukote. Personally I find the no-pick to be so much more effective than blukote at keeping the chicks from making a little injury into a life or death emergency.

6. Blood stop powder. You can use flour or cornstarch- but a bottle of blood stop powder is inexpensive and very convenient.

7. Cat claw trimmers- those little scissor kind. Sometimes you get chicks with really hooky sharp claws and it impedes their gait- and they just need a teeny little pedicure. Cat claw trimmers won't put the downward pressure that people nail trimmers will- and they're nice and sharp. This is where having blood stop powder is great too- just in case you nick it.

8. Several rolls of Vetwrap (Koflex or whatever the brand) in various sizes. You'd be amazed and what this stuff gets used for. Another thing you don't want to have to run to the feed store to get in an emergency.

9. Neosporin ORIGINAL. No pain relief- anything with -caine (i.e novocaine, lidocaine etc) can kill a chick and a chicken. They have a very low tolerance. So never buy anything that sais "pain relief or pain free' or the like.

Here's an excellent guide:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-complete-chick-care-guide/

thank you very much, i have most of the emergency stuff (except for corid and the trimmers so i need to find some later) and i didn't know that about oatmeal, i only give them a small handful a day and never in the mornings (it's the only thing they will go back into their run for before dark). But i won't give my little ones any oatmeal until they move outside with the bug guys and like i said it's minimal (I'm glad i don't give in when they beg though, if they'd have that much oatmeal that would probably be a problem). I probably won't just in case but the tank is a reptile tank not a fish tank, desert reptiles need a lot of ventilation and i only get the best. BUt i think I'll use something more standard just in case.

One thing, should i have a second bin on hand for sick chicks, probably but I'm asking anyway.

Thank you!

Sounds like you've thought this out more than I did when I got my first chicks.

All you really need for baby chicks is a heat source, feeder, waterer (you can start them on a nipple waterer Day 1), chick starter, and bedding. I would recommend you have a tube of plain triple antibiotic ointment on hand. Now, if you want to get fancy, you can get a small flat container to give them a dustbath, and a bottle of nutri-drench. Your reptile tank should be fine.

I don't think the cool side of the brooder is as much an issue as the hot side, because they will move to where they feel most comfortable. As long as they are fed, watered, and cozy, they shouldn't peep too much.

I didn't give treats until mine were 1 mo. old. Started with mealworms and scrambled eggs. Easy to digest stuff until I started giving them grit, and then they could eat seeds, greens, grains, bigger bugs.

Four chicks is fine for starters. Better to start with too few than too many. Good luck with your new chicks!
thank you, I'm always worried I'm going to mess them up. I'm excited though, chicks are just the best i used to hold my friends chicks and they're just the best.
thank you!

It sounds like you have gotten good advice.

On the being in your room. They should be fine. For the first week or so they need an area that is between 90F and 95F.

I've heard of one person that is using one of the reptile heat sources for their chicks. They have put a box over top that the chicks can get into and out of.

Good luck and most of all enjoy your birds.

It sounds like you have gotten good advice.

On the being in your room. They should be fine. For the first week or so they need an area that is between 90F and 95F.

I've heard of one person that is using one of the reptile heat sources for their chicks. They have put a box over top that the chicks can get into and out of.

Good luck and most of all enjoy your birds.
Thank you, i think I've gotten good advice as well!

Back
Top Bottom