Should a quail be able to stand up on it's own at 12 or so hours old?

RashelleR

In the Brooder
May 17, 2018
I had a quail jyst hatch on the 21st day. After about 30 hours I decided to intervene and helped him slowly peel back the shell and he made it out ok. But this morning he is still not able to walk on his own. I have wood shavings and a paper towel over that on the ground.

Attachments

• 20180520_000832_001.jpg
    20180520_000832_001.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 19
He can stand but his feet arent sprawled out they are like stuck together. Will try to upload a picture

Hope this helps
this helps tremendously he def has curled toes... he had a rough hatch so assuming it was due to that or the fact that i got him at our local asian market... thank you so much going to try the cardboard and bandaid trick! keeping my fingers crossed because he is soooo sweet and the only one that has made it! Thanks for you help!!!

If he's the only one, give him a stuffed animal to cuddle up to, and go get some more eggs. Quail are highly social and don't do well kept alone.
I know I didnt want him to be alone but great idea with the stuffed animal! He also has curled toes so I put bandaid on his feet but he cant even walk with them on. Hes sleeping a lot too. Worried about him but have new eggs on their way hopefully hell have some friends in less then a month.

You may want to modify the design so he can walk. What I've seen is a little foot-shaped piece of cardboard under the foot, with the toes taped to the top of it, like a snowshoe. You want him to be able to walk around some so he can get to food and water and can move if the temperature isn't right.

Back
Top Bottom