Should I be expecting eggs now!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Aug 29, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    One of my girls, a Rhodie named Chico, has been squatting. Today she sat on my lap and I scratched her back, when I did she started trembling and squatted. After I scratched her back she frilled her feathers and shook. I have also noticed that her pelvis is markedly wider than the other chickens.

Is it egg time!?

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    any day now i'd say!!!

3. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    what age is your rir? mine are 20 weeks and i am like a child waiting for santa for mine to start!!

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:5 months is too soon.Sometimes they start at 24 weeks sometimes 8 months depends on yer breed.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:While there are some breeds that are slower to lay, there are also many that start right around 5 months. In fact, most of mine have laid their first egg right on the nose of 5 months. To the OP, it sounds like your girl is getting very close.

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    My rir's are 19 weeks and just started laying about a week ago.

7. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:could u please put a pic up of your girls so i can compare the way they look to mine please??

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:could u please put a pic up of your girls so i can compare the way they look to mine please??

I don't have any recent ones right now, but I will get some after work today and post them tonight.

9. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011

I don't have any recent ones right now, but I will get some after work today and post them tonight.

great thank you!!

10. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    here are picsi just took of my girls, how long do you think i willhave to wait

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by