Should I be worried....

Humlet

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
New Jersey
So we finally finished our duck pen. Ducks seem to love it. Only problem is they are constantly in the water. I know their ducks but I fear they won't go in if they get cold. Should I force them in at night and close them in? The whole pen is completely closed in from predators.
20180413_201059.jpg

My ducks are in the water from the moment I let them out, until it's dark. I wouldn't worry about them being cold, as long as predators aren't an issue they will be fine.
But if you would feel more comfortable with them inside, then by all means go for it! It's better to be safe than sorry.
Are they completely covered in feathers or still fuzzy?

From reading, a lot of duck owners have to put their ducks to bed or else they don't go in.
Do you have a night vision camera?
I am not sure what your predators are there, but your fencing looks bigger than what is normally suggested for predator proofing a run.

Also, do you have a daytime pic? I just want to see how you put your pond in a standing run like that!

After giving your picture some more thought, Soon2BChixMom is right, your fencing has pretty big holes. I think you should chase them in, otherwise something could grab your babies and drag them through it. I don't think the cold is an issue, but I'd worry about something killing them.

My ducks are in the water from the moment I let them out, until it's dark. I wouldn't worry about them being cold, as long as predators aren't an issue they will be fine.
But if you would feel more comfortable with them inside, then by all means go for it! It's better to be safe than sorry.
Are they completely covered in feathers or still fuzzy?
They are mostly featured. I have the heat lamp on in the house. I just checked, they laying in the house now. It's 46 out today. The pen is two feet off the ground. The ducks can't fit through the holes. Pond is supported by cinder blocks and 2x4s.
20180413_195421.jpg

Attachments

• 20180413_201059.jpg
    20180413_201059.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom