Should I be worried?

JoTing

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2019
A couple of chickens have lost feathers on their heads and are spending a lot of time in the nesting in box. One (pictured) also has a lot of watery droppings. I thought at first broody but could this be a molt and broody behaviour or more likely to be illness? Picture of one of my girls.

Attachments

• IMG_7582.jpeg
    IMG_7582.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7579.jpeg
    IMG_7579.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7581.jpeg
    IMG_7581.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
hmmm -not what I was expecting, I just have more questions: are they laying? How old are they? I am wondering if you have a feather plucker? Or is there a possibility that they are sticking their head in something and pulling feathers out? Are you in North America?

How many chickens do you have? How much space do they have as in measurements? How old are they? Is there any birds with no damage at all?

I think I might consider pin less peepers if you have a feather plucker.

hmmm -not what I was expecting, I just have more questions: are they laying? How old are they? I am wondering if you have a feather plucker? Or is there a possibility that they are sticking their head in something and pulling feathers out? Are you in North America?

How many chickens do you have? How much space do they have as in measurements? How old are they? Is there any birds with no damage at all?

I think I might consider pin less peepers if you have a feather plucker.
We have 6 Bantam. One other is looking like this although not as bad. We’re in the uk. 4 are fine. I don’t think this black one is laying. They’re 3years old. Update: I did see one having a go at another today so maybe pulling feathers after all.

Last edited:
Are they sticking their head through a fence?

I did some googling - and it does say molt starts at the head... I really do not expect my birds to begin molting until Octoberish. But maybe you are just a lot farther north.

Back
Top Bottom