Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

this is the best photo of Penny that I could get today... I got quite a few, but mostly her fluffy butt... anyway, Penny is the one who had the low hanging crop, was high stepping and using her talons to make a big ole boo boo... I tried Vet Wrap, I tried gauze... she would rip her way out in minutes, even if I tried to wrap her at roost time! anyway, it's gross... but she managed to tear a hole in her crop. the other day, she was dripping, not blood... but fluid... and seeds! she had managed to empty her crop manually. once free range was over, I caught her, cleaned her up, sprayed blue kote on her and she is fine today! new flesh, no feathers of course... but the wound is closed. amazing what chickens can overcome.

this is the best photo of Penny that I could get today... I got quite a few, but mostly her fluffy butt... anyway, Penny is the one who had the low hanging crop, was high stepping and using her talons to make a big ole boo boo... I tried Vet Wrap, I tried gauze... she would rip her way out in minutes, even if I tried to wrap her at roost time! anyway, it's gross... but she managed to tear a hole in her crop. the other day, she was dripping, not blood... but fluid... and seeds! she had managed to empty her crop manually. once free range was over, I caught her, cleaned her up, sprayed blue kote on her and she is fine today! new flesh, no feathers of course... but the wound is closed. amazing what chickens can overcome.

That's the oddest thing. Never heard of something like this before. Maybe she need a pedicure?
big_smile.png

Looky what I found!

A California Towhee fledgling. The dog keeps trying to eat it, and the parents frantically try to lure the dog away. They and Scooter have always had a love hate relationship. They chirp at him with ear piercing ferocity, and he watches them up in the tree and tries to get them when they come down. Towhees spend most of their time on the ground, and apparently, part of a fledgling's training takes place on the ground too. Would be okay if this guy could fly up and perch well, but so far he doesn't seem to be able to. The boys helped me put up a dog proof perimeter around the bushes where this little one hangs out and the parents come down and take care of him. I gave food and water and he made it through the night, but the dogs have been banished to the garage and tiny side yard until this guy gets his wings. He was still there this morning, but I haven't checked this afternoon. Too hot out there!

Can you find it?

Looky what I found! A California Towhee fledgling. The dog keeps trying to eat it, and the parents frantically try to lure the dog away. They and Scooter have always had a love hate relationship. They chirp at him with ear piercing ferocity, and he watches them up in the tree and tries to get them when they come down. Towhees spend most of their time on the ground, and apparently, part of a fledgling's training takes place on the ground too. Would be okay if this guy could fly up and perch well, but so far he doesn't seem to be able to. The boys helped me put up a dog proof perimeter around the bushes where this little one hangs out and the parents come down and take care of him. I gave food and water and he made it through the night, but the dogs have been banished to the garage and tiny side yard until this guy gets his wings. He was still there this morning, but I haven't checked this afternoon. Too hot out there! Can you find it?
Awe! Yeah, I see it.

I can spot it too! glad you saved it!

Penny's talons aren't too long, I use a dog nail trimmer on them fairly regularly, get one or two talons at a time at least, a few are comfortable with me clipping them all at once... but it was the way she was high stepping and digging into her crop... don't need much talon I guess...

LOL! I am glad I am not the only one that doesn't know due date!
No idea many eggs they have now, but as long as a third one doesn't get in that box, they should all hatch under a hen.
I really would not be surprised if the other two go broody this week as well.

I have 2 broody seramas and 1 Ameraucana. No eggs for anyone. We are full up. I am getting a little tired of taking care of 4 sets of chickens- serama chicks in the garage, Buster and her 3 chicks in the yard and smaller pen in the layer coop, bantam coop, and layer coop. Will be nice when I can combine them to have only 2 coops. Have to sell the Serama extras first, and eventually the accidental EE cockerel.
sad.png

Went out and checked on the Towhee. No sign of it or the parents, so hoping it made it back over the fence into the neighbor's where I believe they have their base of operations. 3 huge crows were in the backyard!
barnie.gif
Now that the Towhee baby is safely away (I hope) the dogs can go back on patrol.

Back
Top Bottom