Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Ms Broody Peach was bereft without her babies... so I got her some more! 2 Cuckoo Marans and a pure white Easter Egger, all 3 weeks old. Peach heard them chirping and came to claim them as her own without a seconds hesitation!

with the last one tucked in... it's a very good night!

Ms Broody Peach was bereft without her babies... so I got her some more! 2 Cuckoo Marans and a pure white Easter Egger, all 3 weeks old. Peach heard them chirping and came to claim them as her own without a seconds hesitation!

with the last one tucked in... it's a very good night!

love.gif
Peach is such a good mommy!
Congrats AL on the new babies!!!!

Wanted to stop and and say hi, had a horrible 2 weeks with the fox attacks and still devastated over losing our 4 goslings and ducks.
DHs friend has good experience with trapping so we hope to get the thing gone. My oldest saw the last attack, she cried for 2 days, felt guilty cause she couldn't get to Ivy in time to save her.
I have convinced her its not her fault, its what predators do. We can only make sure we improve our security. My remaining ducks and geese are back in the main coop until the thing is gone. I wont be putting them back by the pond, either. Pond time will just have to be supervised from now on,

:love Peach is such a good mommy!
Congrats AL on the new babies!!!!

Wanted to stop and and say hi, had a horrible 2 weeks with the fox attacks and still devastated over losing our 4 goslings and ducks.
DHs friend has good experience with trapping so we hope to get the thing gone. My oldest saw the last attack, she cried for 2 days, felt guilty cause she couldn't get to Ivy in time to save her.
I have convinced her its not her fault, its what predators do. We can only make sure we improve our security. My remaining ducks and geese are back in the main coop until the thing is gone. I wont be putting them back by the pond, either. Pond time will just have to be supervised from now on,

:hugs so sorry!

Quote:
thanks. The 2 ducks were bad enough, the geese were my only 2 brown chinese goslings (my favorite babies) They are my pets, like a dog or cat. Gentle sweet birds, I am pretty angry with myself for not protecting them better. My only brown left is their mom, WeeWee and I am about ready to bring her in the house every night so I know she is safe! Just heartbroken but this will be stopped right away.

hugs.gif
JCH, there's not much worse than watching it happen, great big hugs for your daughter! I saw the fox take my EE Lily last year, horrible feeling, chased it despite knowing it was fruitless. Supervision during free range is the only way for me to let them out. I love the idea of free range birds, who can be seen all over the yard happily scratching and eating and bathing... while I'm off to work. I just know... they are so fat and tempting, they'd get picked off one by one til there are none left.

the new chicks are fine this morning, Peach is so funny, and yes! the most Mothering bird I've ever seen!

So! it's Official! well... several things are Official!
1) Peach is Back to Herself!
2) Mylee is arriving tonight!
3) I'm on Vacation! 6 whole straight days off in a row!!!!!!!

I pick them up at the airport at 6:48 PM, and have gorgeous Angus porterhouse steaks for supper. Splurging big time... but the other half of supper is eggs, so... Mylee saw the pictures of the new chicks last night on fb, and she was delighted! thinks they are very beautiful and can't wait to come zoooooooom! on the plane to NY to Omi's so she can kiss them all!

"it's nice to be Happy Happy!"

Hello friends. Work stole my social life. Want to catch up with everybody soon. Chicks are four weeks today. Roger has learned that big broody will babysit her chick and she is taking full advantage of the situation. Big broody keeps Little Roger at nights now so the devil can have her night life with her friends(roosting with them). I have a few pictures to share when I get them loaded. Miss you guys. Talk to you soon.

hugs.gif
JCH, there's not much worse than watching it happen, great big hugs for your daughter! I saw the fox take my EE Lily last year, horrible feeling, chased it despite knowing it was fruitless. Supervision during free range is the only way for me to let them out. I love the idea of free range birds, who can be seen all over the yard happily scratching and eating and bathing... while I'm off to work. I just know... they are so fat and tempting, they'd get picked off one by one til there are none left.

the new chicks are fine this morning, Peach is so funny, and yes! the most Mothering bird I've ever seen!

So! it's Official! well... several things are Official!
1) Peach is Back to Herself!
2) Mylee is arriving tonight!
3) I'm on Vacation! 6 whole straight days off in a row!!!!!!!

I pick them up at the airport at 6:48 PM, and have gorgeous Angus porterhouse steaks for supper. Splurging big time... but the other half of supper is eggs, so... Mylee saw the pictures of the new chicks last night on fb, and she was delighted! thinks they are very beautiful and can't wait to come zoooooooom! on the plane to NY to Omi's so she can kiss them all!

"it's nice to be Happy Happy!"
Congrats, Cheeka!

Congrats to all on your good news! Lots of chicks arriving into the world! Where does that leave everyone's numbers? Both chicken and egg laying?
Today is incubator hatch day, and I am impatient. Mostly I am discouraged.
Baby is getting antsy. I put some bedding in the box with her. I see that the box is either empty of litter or low. I won't tick her off with the hatch so close. I just put it beside her.
Beth is sitting tight. I am wondering if I should give Midnight eggs. I know her leg was injured, but she has been up. Now I am wondering if the broody bug hit her too. It would explain so much.
Is it a guarantee that her breast feathers will be gone?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom