1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I buy two of these ladies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by squeakyballs, Jan 11, 2010.

1. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I just saw this post on Craigs and was wondering if I should go for it. The hens are 2 years old and "no longer laying". Do you think that this is because of the lack of light, or could there be something wrong with them? They look like barred rock to me...

What questions should I ask her?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/1547314445.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    $10/hen. Kinda high, don't ya think? I'd probably rescue them in hopes of getting eggs later, but I'd definitely haggle that price down.

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I wouldn't even pay $10 for 1 year laying hens much less hens "over 2 that aren't laying". It does sound high to me too. Have patience and keep an eye on craigslist. I have gotten 2 good deals from there recently. 10 RIR hens that had just started laying for 3.50 each and 2 weeks ago 8 bantam and 11 large fowl all for free.

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yep, those look like Barred rocks. Price is good too because I bet you can get them back to laying. When you do get them put them on a 20% layer and that should start them going again. Barred rocks are known for laying longer than two years. They just do not lay as much as the first two years. going price for adult hens is $12 to $20 so $10 is a good price.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    $10 is kinda high for a hen that isn't laying, and the seller "has no use for them."

And I have trouble with a hen that is "no longer laying" but it's "only two years old."

Hens don't just quit because they're two. They quit because there's something wrong, or because they're way more than two.[​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'd offer $10 for all 5 of them! [​IMG]

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Robin'sBrood :

I'd offer $10 for all 5 of them! [​IMG]

ahhaha! she may end up with a craigslist meanie.... be careful!!!!!​

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Too expensive! It could be the light or just their time to moult. I'd tell them $20 for all myself.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Personally I wouldn't pay $10 for a 2-year-old hen. I'd expect they are not completely done laying (perhaps just taking a break for molt/winter?) but their production rate is more than likely past its peak.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The average price for a hen here is about $15. Sounds like a good deal if you were in Arkansas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by