Should I buy two of these ladies?

I wouldn't even pay $10 for 1 year laying hens much less hens "over 2 that aren't laying". It does sound high to me too. Have patience and keep an eye on craigslist. I have gotten 2 good deals from there recently. 10 RIR hens that had just started laying for 3.50 each and 2 weeks ago 8 bantam and 11 large fowl all for free.

Yep, those look like Barred rocks. Price is good too because I bet you can get them back to laying. When you do get them put them on a 20% layer and that should start them going again. Barred rocks are known for laying longer than two years. They just do not lay as much as the first two years. going price for adult hens is $12 to $20 so $10 is a good price.

Last edited:
$10 is kinda high for a hen that isn't laying, and the seller "has no use for them."

And I have trouble with a hen that is "no longer laying" but it's "only two years old."

Hens don't just quit because they're two. They quit because there's something wrong, or because they're way more than two.
hmm.png

Personally I wouldn't pay $10 for a 2-year-old hen. I'd expect they are not completely done laying (perhaps just taking a break for molt/winter?) but their production rate is more than likely past its peak.

Back
Top Bottom