Should I get a pair of chicks instead of just one?

Lani Geistwalker

Hatching
Sep 14, 2017
EDIT: Thank you for your responses! We are going to hold off on getting any chicks and allow the chicken's feathers to grow back before we introduce her to our flock. This was very helpful!

Hello!

So I have taken in my brother's Araucana chicken because she was the bottom of the pecking order and was very close to being pecked to death. We made the mistake of introducing her too quickly to our four Rhode Island Reds and they immediately started pecking her. We created a separate run and we are building a separate coop for her while her feathers grow back. We are worried though, that even when her feathers grow back she will still get picked on.

SO, we wanted to get another Araucana chick to be her friend. BUT, I am worried that only getting one chick will make it very lonely when it is too young to be in the coop and is kept under a light in a box.

Has anyone bought one single chick before and had it turn out fine or should I get two chicks?

Last edited:
When people refer to "chick" sometimes they are talking about a nearly grown bird of three to four months or a chick less than a week old. Which is your chick?

Importing a new bird at this point will not solve your problem. The new one will be picked on as well, also by the "chick" you are getting it for.

the best way to handle your problem would be to do a slow integration where the flock can become acquainted with the chick and the chick can develop self confidence.

You may pick up some useful tips in this article.http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

Thank you for the article! The Araucana that was being picked on is over a year old. We were thinking of getting one or two 1 week old chicks and introduce them to her so she has company in her coop/run until we decide to integrate the Araucanas with our Rhode Island Reds. But I am wondering if I should get two Araucana 1 week old chicks, or if one will be okay.

If you wish to add chicks to your flock, get more than one.

But again, adding chicks will not solve the issue. The picked on hen will pick on the chicks. She is not likely to view them as companions. That is not how chickens roll.

I wouldn't add chicks to a one year olds pen period,she would very likely kill them. Separate your one year old with a barrier so the rest of the flock can see her but not peck her while her feathers regrow. Let it be this way for at least a month and then try to reintroduce. Be sure when you do let the hen in with the flock she has places to hide or perches to get up on to because if your chickens are always in a run they will just get her in a corner and peck the crap out of her.

When you get ready to introduce her to the rest of the flock, I suggest that you give her a companion from your flock (in her space) first. Give them time to bond, then introduce the two birds to the rest of the flock.

BTW, the bird that you are referring to as an Araucana is most likely an Easter Egger. Araucanas are rumpless, and would most likely be more costly than Ameraucanas. Unfortunately, the hatchery industry has perpetrated false advertising when it comes to Araucana, Ameraucana, or EE birds. Araucana = rumpless. Ameraucana = bred to standard of perfection, and will be sold as a specific color which will breed true for that color... unless referring to the Blue/black/splash genetics, and will always lay a blue egg. EE = lovely mixed breed mutt bird with widely varied feather colors from one bird to an other, that often lays blue or green eggs, often has the desired beard and muffs.

Hi...I'm new to the forum, but have a similar problem with introducing a 10 week old chick to my 8, 14 week old chicks, who are now outside and kept in a pen. She (Sweetie) was also orphaned when my neighbors free range hens laid eggs under my sheds and were killed by an unknown predator right after they hatched. She is much smaller than they were at the same age. That is problem #1. And, then there's the added problem of what to do with the 1 roo that I would like to separate from the hens soon. I bought a smaller individual coop with a 48"X32" run to put him in, but worry that he will be unhappy separated from the rest of his sisters. Wondering if he will be okay if his pen is right near theirs, or would that be even worse? I can't let any of them free range due to the hawks that hang around, because of my neighbors free range chickens. Out where I live we all own acerage, surrounded by woods. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. PS...I've dubbed myself "The Crazy Old Chicken Lady". At 75 I never thought I'd be raising baby chicks from 2 days old...they sort of volunterred ME for the job, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom