should i get a petco parakeet?

I don’t know much but from what I’ve heard, Petco is a horrible place to get any living animal. They treat their animals horribly and it’s likely that you’ll bring home a pet with extreme health issues and behavioral problems because of the abuse and neglect. I strongly advice you to not buy animals from petco even if it’s the only option.

I worked at a pet store for a long time. Not petco, but a chain none the less (pet supermarket). I can tell you that our animals were treated with the upmost love and respect. We were diligent, well trained, and ethical. I can also tell you that this mentality depends entirely on the individual store. Yes, they come from a factory setting and that is bad, but once they’re in the store it depends on the managers and care takers. You will have to chat with the employees and watch carefully.

I find it really depends on the store. Not all of them abuse and neglect them. I went to one recently where they even had toys and millet and stuff out for them. They even had vegetables in their bowl. They also had one of the bigger birds on the lady at the registers shoulder. Not sure if it was hers that she brings to work or for sale but either way, she clearly cared.

Our local one isn’t quite as good but only because it’s a huge store and they never have enough people working. They do care though and they’re always clean and healthy. Another local one has awesome cages for all the animals and is very very clean.

So it highly depends. I am sure there are some where they’re living in filth or neglected but they are not ALL like that. There are some that care about the wellbeing of the animals.

Ours even takes them to the vet when they are sick.

I got two from our local Petco in March and they are amazing. They’re healthy, clean, beautiful and my male is a little chatter box once he settled in LOL he’s constantly chattering and chirping and just a happy guy. The girl is more shy and it took her a long time to get comfortable. She’s still a little scared of me but she doesn’t fly away when I get near now hah and she’s starting to chirp and play more.

They’re not super tame but that’s only because I haven’t really had the time to hand tame them or anything. So they do still get a little nervous when I stick my hand in but I’m sure with a little work they could easily be tame. Or at least the male would be tame very fast I’m sure. But I just like watching them and hearing them sing and talk so it doesn’t bother me. They really like music too. :love

Anyway, long story short, not all pet store birds are abused and they can be great. I think if I had gotten just the boy, he would be very tame but I wanted him to have a buddy.

That said though, they are bred in a sort of “bird mill” so to speak so not always the healthiest and definitely not tame when you get them but I spent time at the store before getting them and chose the one that came up to me and seemed friendly. It was a good choice.

I’ve had birds in the past get sick and die but that was many many years ago and I was also very young and inexperienced when I had them so I am sure it was more my lack of knowledge that did it. This time I got a huge flight cage and tons of toys, perches, etc. and good diet and a mineral block.

I got all my budgies from Petco, Petsmart, or another local pet store. I'd go to Petco if I want anymore. They are the only ones around here.
Yeah same. There’s lots of local feed stores but not really any local pet stores. There actually was one but they didn’t really treat the birds or animals well. Oddly the big stores treated them far better.

Back
Top Bottom