should I Look into this coop

I was thinking about picking up a prefab for a combo broody/isolation house. They are handy.
It has a little wire run and nesting box. Before the babies came out, I opened it up for my big girls to lay eggs in it when we had 102 and 103 temps. It's inside a dog run covered and sits on a cement slab. here is my set up

Attachments

• 288985588_752630299088793_4689709336357287729_n.jpg
    288985588_752630299088793_4689709336357287729_n.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 6
It depends on how you intend to keep your chickens and that may include your climate (sorry, I have no idea where you are. VA means noting to me)
If you are expecting to keep your chickens confined to the coop and a small covered run due to freezing conditions or other reasons then pass this by. It isn't big enough.

It does need some modifications. Improved ventilation for example. Not difficult.
You'll discover further problems no doubt once it's in use. I've yet to see a coop that didn't.

What it does give you is portability. I just can't emphasise how important this is.
A great many of the problems one can read about here are most easily solved by moving the coop! It is well worth paying a premium for something built well enough to move without it falling to bits.

Never pay attention to the coop will hold xxx number of chickens. I've kept chickens in coops that were/are way below the so called standard of 4 square feet per bird. If all they do is sleep in the coop and lay eggs in it, as long as they can all get in then that's fine.

I'll probably get bricks thrown at me but I've got 15 chickens living in this.
I have had to make some alterations but the structure is solid and portable!
If you do decide to get it then make the run portable as well. It can be done with a little thought and be secure.
P8041658.JPG
P6141227.JPG
P8201791.JPG

Last edited:
It depends on how you intend to keep your chickens and that may include your climate (sorry, I have no idea where you are. VA means noting to me)
If you are expecting to keep your chickens confined to the coop and a small covered run due to freezing conditions or other reasons then pass this by. It isn't big enough.

It does need some modifications. Improved ventilation for example. Not difficult.
You'll discover further problems no doubt once it's in use. I've yet to see a coop that didn't.

What it does give you is portability. I just can't emphasise how important this is.
A great many of the problems one can read about here are most easily solved by moving the coop! It is well worth paying a premium for something built well enough to move without it falling to bits.

Never pay attention to the coop will hold xxx number of chickens. I've kept chickens in coops that were/are way below the so called standard of 4 square feet per bird. If all they do is sleep in the coop and lay eggs in it, as long as they can all get in then that's fine.

I have had to make some alterations but the structure is solid and portable!
If you do decide to get it then make the run portable as well. It can be done with a little thought and be secure.View attachment 3230581View attachment 3230582View attachment 3230583

More likely to throw brisket, a couple racks of ribs, maybe a pork belly, a brined turkey, and some dry rubbed goat legs. Is that a SMOKER????

That's pretty awesome.

I would not say it quite that way. I think you have 15 chickens sleeping and maybe laying eggs in that coop, but they do most of their "living" outside during the daytime (run and free ranging).

VA is probably Virginia, in the USA.
Summers get hot (over 90F/60C on many days), and somewhat humid.
Winters get cold (below 32F/0C moderately often, sometimes quite a bit colder for a few days.)
Snow happens some winters, not others. When it does happen, snow ranges from less than an inch to over 2 feet at once. Last year, there was a big snowfall in at least part of the state that blocked a bunch of roads, caused lots of traffic issues, knocked out the electrical power for a bunch of people, and took a week or more to melt away again.

With a covered run, and some wind protection, it might work in Virginia (with the added ventilation everyone has recommended.) But if the chickens do not have a sheltered space outside the coop to spend their days, I would expect trouble during Virginia winters. And if they do have a secure covered run, I would probably put perches and nestboxes in the run and skip the "coop" entirely.

Last edited:
More likely to throw brisket, a couple racks of ribs, maybe a pork belly, a brined turkey, and some dry rubbed goat legs. Is that a SMOKER????

That's pretty awesome.
No it's not a smoker.:lol:
https://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/shop/pig-poultry/hen-arks/standard-eco-hen-ark

It needed some "adjustments" (window, new roost bars, adjustable vent protection, guarded roof vents, and some seam sealing) and a secure roost in run building which I'm in the process of doing because some prefer to roost outside unless it's cold.
P7271551.JPG
P7281572.JPG
P8101712.JPG

No it's not a smoker.:lol:
https://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/shop/pig-poultry/hen-arks/standard-eco-hen-ark

It needed some "adjustments" (window, new roost bars, adjustable vent protection, guarded roof vents, and some seam sealing) and a secure roost in run building which I'm in the process of doing because some prefer to roost outside unless it's cold.View attachment 3230627View attachment 3230631View attachment 3230632
Man, if that's all steel, it would make a glorious smoker. (I may have lived in Texas for too long).

and following the link, I see its recycled plastic. props for eco friendly. But damn that would be a good dual firebox design for a large body smoker.

Back
Top Bottom