Should I or shouldn't I help? Serama quesiton

minipaintedacre

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
I'm new to Serama hatching or should I say lack of. I have a set of eggs that were due to hatch on the 19th. I set them on the 1st of the month. I'm figuring 19 because I had read that they hatch on day 19 than a regular chickens day 21.

This is day 20 and so far I have 3 that finally peeped and a few knocking on the door. I'm worried about them because from what I read they are hard to hatch and don't know if I should help or stand back and wonder if they are going to make it on their own. I have the humidity up as high as it will go which is 59%. I just started spraying them about every 3 hours. Just a lite mist. Is there anything else I need to do?

8 are shipped eggs and 12 are local eggs. The shipped are the ones peeping first. My first Serama hatch was 18 shipped eggs, 10 made it to lockdown and 4 hatched. I guess that is what has me worried. I don't want to sit on my hands and have 6 more babies die in the shell.

I've read varying opinions, never having hatched chicks myself. One thought is that helping chicks will allow weaker babies to survive, which probably aren't the best to add to your gene pool. However if they are that important to you, you might help them a little bit.

I have a few more peeps so I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning before I jump in. I'm crossing my fingers that some make it.

Me too. I'm about ready to give up on eggs and just buy birds. I do have more peeps so I'm hoping by tomorrow morning I will have some babies to brag about.

good news i have babies. Had 5 hatch this morning out of the shipped eggs with 2 more peeps. The local eggs I have 3 babies with a few more peeps. They sure took the full 21 days to hatch. I'm glad I waited now.

Back
Top Bottom