Should I raised by hen or heatlamp?

Campine Lover

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Moss Beach, CA
I was thinking of ordering 4 chicks, and I was wondering whether or not to have my broody silkie sit on them. Will they still be friendly with me? Is it better to raise them in brooders or hens? Any expiriences would be great.

I let a couple of my broody hens hatch their own eggs which happened about two weeks ago. So far so good. I can tell the 3 I have so far must be from at least two different mothers. If she already has a clutch started you may be able to slip them in if your girls share nesting boxes like mine do. Good luck.
tongue.png

The chicks raised by a hen seem healthier and it's a lot cheaper to not have to have a heat lamp 24/7 however I do agree that adding them AFTER they hatch may not be a good idea. I have had babys ate that way
sad.png
I had to learn the hard way. Good luck!

Quote:
There is a happy medium. I like to have my chicks hen-raised, but I learned by accident that if I take them from her at 4 weeks or so and finish the feathering out by hand-raising and heat lamp, the chicks become friendly enough for me. I like to hand feed for awhile. Anybody who lets me pet them gets to eat first.
Dale-Ann

Thanks! I was thinking of using the heatlamp... one main priority is them being friendly and alive. Maybe I will TRY with Sugar (silkie hen).... but we shall see. Thanks again!

only one of my chickens is friendly toward me. my first set were bought at TSC and thus raised under heat lamp, thats where the friendly came from but I attribute that to her being ridiculously smart for a chicken. She walks right up to me and talks to me and chases my youngest son for sport. the second set was hatched by one of those girls last spring. They arent unfriendly but they seem a lot less skittish than the first set. they also are less likely to run from my legs than the first set. I like letting the broody hen do it because it was a lot less work for me and mom taught them well. As a matter of fact shes sitting on another nest right now.

Back
Top Bottom