Should the roosts be flat or on edge?

I'm one of those that use tree branches. With mine, the thickness of the tree branch is not nearly as important as being near the window. I am convinced either one will work, mainly because people do it both ways and both ways work. As Ddawn said, you are not in a climate where them sleeping on their feet should be a concern. Even on the narrowest of my tree branches where their feet are wrapped around pretty good, their feet are pretty well covered by their feathers anyway when they squat down.

Something I did not see anyone mention. Whichever way you position them, round off the corners of the 2x4's. This is more comfortable to them when their feet wrap around the roost and it gets rid of splinters.

DSCF0388.jpg

I personally like the edge up method. But I keep reading use the flat side is best . So, I now have it like this the first 2 going up are clothes pins, the next one going up is flat, the top roost is on edge. Which, one I hate the most is the flat one because everyday I have to clean the poop off of it. They still like the top one the best. I wish I had of made it one foot wider because they don't all fit up there & I always feel sorry for the one that doesn't fit. They, seem to rotate who's on the bottom. I can see the point about keeping their tootsies warm. I live in Texas so it never stays cold very long. It's been in the 60's at nite & 80's during the day.

Back
Top Bottom